94 civic Gsr swap Problems with swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lowerdon22s

Hey im in a really pissed off mood, heres my problem i had a gsr motor that came out of a previously swapped ej1 that was running beautifully, now i had that motor torn down and rebuilt with CTR pistons complete valvetrain and so on (built for high compression), now after connecting all the sensors and everything and wiring up the MSD SCI and blaster, i go to start the car for the first time and nothing it cranks and cranks nothing, now its throwing out white smoke out of the throttle body and leaving behind a black soot residue, also we mite have thought there could of been water int he gas so we went out bought iso alcohol to treat it and also poured in another 3-4 gallons of 93, the car has started twice both time if i get off the gas it stalls that was after cranking and cranking but nothing anymore it wont start i already went through a starter from cranking and cranking, i cant figure it out, could the timing be off? like possibly the guy who built the motor didnt do the timing right? ive got the #1 spark plug out and put a rod and rotated the motor till the rod was all the way up meaning the piston was up and check the rotor and everythign , it looks like its ok also on the Aem cam gears the 2 white dots on the sprokets are lined up in the middle when the piston is tdc, i cant figure it out? what could i do to find out the problem? does it sound like the timing is off? or i dont know ive been waiting for the past year to drive this car and finally after eveyrhting is done with it the motors wont even start could someone please help me out? thanks

did you check the crank position, take out the pully and make sure you line up the mark on the oil pump with the tiny pully were the timing belt goes in that pully their should be a white dot line that one up with the oil pump and then check your cam gears if they line up as well. i hope you know wat i meen.....

Yeh i kno what you mean the cam gears i think maybe off but may not be when i removed the #1 spark plug and stuck a rod down there and waited till it was all the way up the 2 cam gears the white dots were even with each other actually right when the rod was at it highest they were evn but if i turned it a lil more to were it was at it true hiesgt peak like maybe 2-3cm higher the cam gears mark were already past each other(they are aem adjustable gears alsio)

I could be wrong and im sure someone will correct if so. Just checking by putting a rod in the cylinder wont tell you TDC. It could be on the exhaust stroke. Meaning cyl 3 is on compression and 4 is up, or something likethat...lol You have to pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire post and the gears (cams) are pointing up. I would do like the last guy said and pull the crank pully to make sure it lines up with the line on the block and then check the distributor and cam gears.. You could be 180 out.

please correct me if im wrong but be nice...lol

White smoke from the TB, and a sooty residue? Sounds to me like you may have some issues with the piston to valve clearance. Your symptoms are signs of bent intake valves. I hope the timing is correct and the cams are zeroed out, or else you may be spending money on a head rebuild.

White smoke from the TB, and a sooty residue? Sounds to me like you may have some issues with the piston to valve clearance. Your symptoms are signs of bent intake valves. I hope the timing is correct and the cams are zeroed out, or else you may be spending money on a head rebuild.
i hopwe its nto that , but how could i bend a valve when the whole motor head to piston was rebuilt wiht new parts, and this is the firast time im starting it so how could i bend a vlave when the motor hasnt been started?

Coould it be possible the dsm 450cc injectors are too much fuel and thats why it ownt start? basucally because it did start twice but tryin again and agian i cooked my starter because i had to hold the key foward and have the started engaged for like a min constant before it started so my starter was boiling and the gas pedal had to be puised once i got offf the pedal both times it turned off so i believ it eitehr gettin too much fuel or maybe for some reason its not gettin enough spakr because when i take the spak plugs out they are black and sort of wet dampish

Those injectors are overkill for a naturally aspirated motor, but still, your fuel pressure regulator should control the amount of fuel being injected, not the injectors themselves...

well truwe but it is possiblt tht it is gerttin too much fuekl no? would too much fuel make the engine not start? cuz it started 2 times after i said that happen i tired a 3rd time and killed rthe starter from constally havin it engaged tryin to start the thing so now i oput another starter in and it ont start but im not going to keep it on like last time obviously its not runnin properly for a reason? now wiki answers told me either too much fuel or its not gettin enough spark hense why the spark plugs are black and wet also it said the white smoke coming from the throttle body are fumes from the fuel, here is the answer it gave me
WikiAnswers - 95 integra gsr wont start keeps cranking and sputters like its about to start but doesnt. Its throwing out white smoke from throttle bodyleaving behind black soot. New spark plugs were black and damp
so im wondering does anybody know how to check the spark? liek i said im using a msd SCI igniton system blaster rotor cap and so on the msd box itself. now i wondering is there someway of say taking the spark plug out have it connected witht he sparkplug wire and to the cap too and say measure the spatk coming from the distributer itself? Maybe connecting a volt meter and reading how much volts are coming out? if so does anybody kno what the proper amount is sopose to bed how muhc spakr is sopose to be going to the spark plugs?

i think it might have to do with my cam gears they dont seem like they line up perfect and are off like they are aem adj gears and when piston one is all the way up they arnt lined up perfect like the left white dot on top is a lil up and the white dot on the right gear is a lil down instead of being even with each other, does anybody know how i can set my gears back to true zero like where and hwo to put the intake cam and exhaust cam in perfectly and then put the gears back on the way they should be? i think the guy who built my motor porbaly didnt kno what to do

Hey i read somewhere that when the car is at TDC top dead center another way to tell if the timing is corrrect since i have the aem adjustable gears is when u lossen the bolt for the cam gears and cylinder one is all the way up on the stock cam gears the arrows that point up arnt on the aem gears but also on the stock gears when the words up are at twelve oclock so are the woodlan keys the keys that hold the cam gears are lined up with those words so basically if i pukll my gears off those keys should be facing staright up at tdc correct? because they arnt i think that might be my problem?

Back