1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'94 Civic Hatch Ideas?

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Dymond, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Dymond

Dymond New Member

Hey guys... I just bought my first Civic and I was wondering if any of you would mind giving me some input as to what I should do to it. It's running the stock non-vtech that originally came with the car and I wanted to swap in an upgrade. So it's a '94 Civic Hatch. My budget for the project is going to hover around $2000 give or take. It's going to be my every day driver, so I'd want something fuel efficient, but I want it to be fast as well. My brother suggested that i get a b16, but I wanted to get some more opinions. If i get a b16... what mods/accessories should i get for it... and how much do you think it would cost. Hope I get some good input. Thanks :p

2. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

If $2,000 is your total budget then you're barely going to be able to afford just the B16 swap, let alone any mods...

3. George777

George777 ^^ Likes Bewbies

D16Z6 with bolt-ons. That's about all you can really put in there for that price to see a difference.

4. Dymond

Dymond New Member

My budget for the engine is going to be $2000, but I'm going to invest more for parts. Sorry about not clearing that up to begin with. Thanks for the tips so far :)

5. George777

LS w/ Boost.

For 2 grand, you can get an LS and boost it. It will cost you additional money on top of that for the mounts, linkage, ECU+tuning, etc.

6. squeals

squeals New Member

He's looking or dependability most likely since it'll be his DD. for 2k he would have a shitty turbo setup

1 person likes this.
  7. ejclide

ejclide Swapper for life!

for 2K you can get a B16 Swap, just shop around. You might spend a little extra on little parts here and there, but I've seen them for somewhat near that price range. Probably your best idea too in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  8. George777

$1200-$1400 is more than enough for a decent turbo setup. You can pick up a B18 for $600-$800.

A boosted car can be just as reliable as a N/A car. It's all in the tune.

9. lsteggy

lsteggy New Member

deff. get a ls turbo. like george said. and ls's are cheap. even if something breaks on it or it blows. its cheaper then a gs-r or what not. ls's are more turbo friendly . and b16's are junk. cept for the type r.

10. George777

B16's aren't junk. They have proven themselves to be exceptionally good motors. If they were garbage, there wouldn't be a market for them. It's the stupid shit people do to them that make them unreliable.

11. lsteggy

lsteggy New Member

just saying you need to do alot to them to make em fast. like a stock ls vs. b16 , ls would win.

12. serrilion

serrilion In my own little world! VIP

For get the DOHC nut heads haha! Go get a D15B, Turbo that and enjoy! :) Its a fun Engine, with alot of Power for a SOHC. It waxes the D16z6 and y8's Rear all day IMO and I love it! turbo'd at 9 LBS im getting about 33 MPG everyday so its play full... Jut my idea tho!

13. murray195

murray195 Member

engine

For my 94 hatch, I went with a very low mileage d16z6. I added an exedy stage 2 clutch, 7.5lb flywheel, airmass ceramic header mated with stainless all the way to the tuner can, Tenzo R cold air intake, and ARP headstuds (for future boost). Its economical on gas and catches a lot of people off guard... with a flywheel that weights half what the stock one does, it puts power to the ground fast!

14. 93HCivic

93HCivic New Member

exactly what i was goin to say, i have a d15b7 that im goin to swap a d16z6 head on it and make a "mini-me" swap, then boost, its cheaper than the rest and u still get some ok power..thats what i would do lol

15. Dymond

Dymond New Member

Yeah, I just don't like the idea of boosting my DD. I'm thinking maybe a built n/a z6. A reasonably low mileage z6 would run like 400-600? Then spend some on building it. Objections/alternative ideas?

16. murray195

murray195 Member

D-series

I'm a fan of the z6 for sure. There are so many options out there for a powerful NA motor, but what I like about the z6 is that if something goes wrong on it, theres plenty of parts out there for them. Mine with 70 000kms (about 43000miles) came with a harness and p28 and only cost $300. I'm more than happy with its performance. There's always something better/more expensive/more powerful out there but the z6 gives you a thrill on a budget. We'd all like a k or j series or even a b16B, but those are all big money in comparison. **Also, getting a motor out of an automatic is something to shoot for because they tend to be in better shape internally IMO**

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  17. George777

Why did we bring back a thread that was dead for 6 months?

18. Hfiend

Hfiend New Member

do the z6 is a good engine and fast to be a sohc i have one in my civic and wow down here in mass you can find one for 150-300 cus everyone is going b series and set up right youll see good numbers if you change mind about boosting your DD

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted