94 Civic HB swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mazda's Supra

Ok, I'm new here but I have a '94 Civic Hb (cx) and the headgasket went so i figure I'm just gonna do a full swap. I don't wanna get too complicated as this is a daily driver. I have a 1.5 non-vtec now and I wanted to put the 1.6 vtec available in the si models into my car. What needs to be done? I know I can use the same tranny and the mounts and everything should line up fine. Is it just a drop in and drive or are there other things that need to be taken care of? I wanna get this done asap as I have school and really need my car back. ANY help would be appreciated THANKS.

Ok, so the 1.6l is a d-series so the tranny will bolt up right? and all I need is a engine harness? is the p28 an ecu? Isn't the stock ecu compatible?

The tranny will bolt up. I don't know what your intentions are, but if your looking for some sort of upgrade out of this you won't be happy with the CX tranny mated to a D16z6. The gears are super killer long! In fact, if your trying to get as less complicated as you can get, & you want a nice upgrade you would be most happy with a LS swap. Its non-vtec (no wiring involved) & pretty much plug & play into your hatch. You won't be dissappointed coming from a CX. I should know, I had a 94 cx hatch W/LS motor & GSR tranny. Go for b-series :thumbsup: You won't be dissappointed.

Quoted post[/post]]
The tranny will bolt up. I don't know what your intentions are, but if your looking for some sort of upgrade out of this you won't be happy with the CX tranny mated to a D16z6. The gears are super killer long! In fact, if your trying to get as less complicated as you can get, & you want a nice upgrade you would be most happy with a LS swap. Its non-vtec (no wiring involved) & pretty much plug & play into your hatch. You won't be dissappointed coming from a CX. I should know, I had a 94 cx hatch W/LS motor & GSR tranny. Go for b-series :thumbsup: You won't be dissappointed.

Is the LS a 1.5 or 1.6? how much hp do they produce stock? I know the cx motor has 70hp and the Si motor 125 what about the ls?

Is the LS motor in the dx and lx model civics? I think I'm going to go with this since it's just plug in. I still wanted to know the amount of horsepower the engine comes with. If I call the wreckers what car to I tell them i want an engine from year and model? Once again thanks for the help.

Ok, I did a little research and I see the LS is a B-series engine available in th JDM Civic Si's. I wanna stick with a d-series so I can use the tranny i got now. I wanna go back to my orginal idea of putting in a 1.5l dx engine stock 102hp or a si 1.6l stock 125hp. I was told that if I use the dx motor then it just drops in plug in with the cx harness and ecu and drive. The Si motor requires a new engine harness and ecu but otherwise is jsut a drop in. Pls correct me if I'm worng on any of these points. I'm going to use one of these engines just wanna know if I'm right as far as the things required to do. pls lemme know asap. It's freezing down here and I need a car to get to school. This has to be doen thsi week. Hope fully I can get it started thursday. Thanks for all the help.

The LS is a b-series engine. It is NOT from a jdm civic si. It out of Integra GS/LS/RS/SE. Just get the whole swap & its pretty much plug in play. If you get an obd-1 b18b1/a1 with the mounts & wireharness & ecu, everything will plug in & you should be fine. At most, if you used your stock engine harness you might have to lengthen a few wires, but you probably won't. Everything should drop right in. Do some research on this site. Any & all the information you need is here. Here's a few links.
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29749
https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29825

Do some research & if your still unsure of something ask away.

BTW, if your going to use an OBD-1 B18A1 from a 92-93 LS/GS/RS...you have to use a B-series hydraulic tranny (94+) for it to be plug & play. Your year civic (92+) use hydraulic operated clutch, where as the 90-93 Integra's used cable. Keep in mind, you can use any B-series hydraulic transmission with the LS motor. You don't have to limit yourself the long gearing of the LS tranny. Unless your looking for fuel ecomony & trying to save money. I'm off to bed...

hey
if you want to stay d-series do it.
Doing a b-series swap is not for everyone.
It's your DD so you need something quick.
If you use the d15b1 or d15b7 you want to go ahead and use a p06 ecu.
That is the ecu for a 92-95 dx.
if you decide to get the 1.6l, d16z6 or d16y8 you will want to get a p28.
You will also have to add the v-tec wires.
With out matching the ecu to the engine you will not get the extra hp.

what ecu do you have in the cx?

good luck

thankf for that last post. I believe I have the stock ecu in there that comes with the cx. Do you happen to know if the dx ecu is a straight replacement for the cx one?

yes a straight replacement.
The diference is in the fuel and ignition maps.

Back