94 coupe- h22 or lsvtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chrono404

I have a 94 ex coupe. I was going to put in a lsvtec, however reading on this forum in abouther topic read That the h22 will beat an ITR(and thus a lsvtec). They are also a lot cheaper. Are there any down sides To the h22 or a h2b(h22 with b16 tranny)

I would like your comments to help my indessiveness. Thanks in advance

The car will be a daily driver. I don't care about top speed, I just want to get to it as fast as possible

Last edited:
Some of the main things I want to know follows.
I have heard that the H22 is heaver then the B-blocks, Is it to heavy for the front of my car, i.e. Will it make my car to front heavy and thus spin out in those tight tuns going 100+?

I have access to a full metal shop and not worried about the wiring or making of brackets. Is there any reason to choose a B-block, specifically a "LSvtec" or "Poormans Type-R" over the H22?

I do know it is noobish to post a question like "omgwtf what engine should i use" but these are some of my concerns that I am turning to you, the Hondaswap pros for guidance. If anyone does reply I will be grateful.

Well, one thing to consider is that it's not necessarily cheaper, especially if you're going to go the H2B route. You're going to have to source an H22 and a B-Series transmission separately, and good B-Series transmissions aren't always cheap. And all of that is aside from the cost of an H2B kit, which I've seen for anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000. If you have access to a shop and you can fabricate things yourself, then you may just want to stick with the H22 tranny and do whatever cutting/fabricating you need to make it fit.

As for the weight issue, it's really not much of an issue. An H22 will weigh anywhere between 60-80 pounds more than a typical B-Series motor. That kind of weight really isn't going to make a huge difference as to the handling of the car. Actually, you might see a slight improvement in traction due to the engines weight sitting over the drive wheels. Just get a decent suspension setup and you should be fine.

All motor I'd go h22 or h2b because of the extra torque but turboed I'd go ls/vtec.

Ive got a jdm h22 swap in my 94 cx hatch and it is awesome. You'll really like it and its got great power without any mods. If your interested i am getting rid of my hatch. I'll let the h22 swap go for $2200 thats with swap mounts, motor, tranny, axels, ecu shifter assmb. and cables. (everything your gonna need) also has a dc header and aem fuel presure regulator and fuel rail. pm me if your interested.

Since an H22A swap is not that hard in an EG with a mount kit, I would go H22A. Simply put, you are NOT going to get the kind of torque that an H22A can produce from an LS-VTEC. Also, buildinga good, reliable LS-VTEC is not going to be cheap. And there could be smog hassles, depending on where you live with a mixed and matched motor. So just get the H22A and drop it in. As for H2B, I have heard that, due to motor placement, it is not the best choice for a street car. For a daily driven street car, going with an H22A transmission is your best choice.

Ya you are right that a properly built ls/vtec is not cheap. Mine cost me 4k so far and I'm not even into the head yet.

Back