1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

94 Del sol B series swap, B16 vs B18B

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by Mike_995, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Mike_995

Mike_995 New Member

Okay fellas, in around a month I will be ordering up a B-series swap for my honda del sol. And I have been watching alot of videos and some its hard to discern the real difference between the B16 and the B18b. Some videos are different the b16 winning which is what I would expect because the JDM b16 has almost 30 hp more. However is this difference really worth the extra 500-600 $, and what have your guys experiences been like in regards to B16 vs B18b.

Thanks
    Mike

2. 93civicracer

93civicracer Oh, I do a little here and there.

Put the b16 vtec head on the Ls block and tune. It'll be faster than even a type r.

3. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

The b16 has a better top end while the b18 will feel quicker during regular driving. Both in stock form in the exact chassis are a close call. Its gonna come down to the driver. Personally I'd take the b16 because it has much better gearing and a stronger bottom end.

4. killercannible

killercannible Senior Member

I smoke ls's all day with my b16 ek coupe.

5. Mike_995

Mike_995 New Member

Alright thanks alot..... looks like Ill be getting the B16, I should feel a big difference between that and my D15B7 :D. Has anyone hurd of total JDM, they are based in ontario.

6. 99sidude

I've never heard of them. I got my motor from hmotorsonline.com. Most people on this site will agree with me that they are the best.

7. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Is this the same place as JDM-Online.com?
    If so, thats where I got my engine/tranny from and I couldn't be happier.

As for the swap, I'd do the best of both worlds. B18B with a b16 tranny. You'd be suprised how much of a difference the right gearing and more torque makes.

8. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I stock LS/Vtec wth the best tune in the world isn't gonna be faster than a Type R motor... and don't say if you build it with this, that and the other blah blah blah... you told him to just stick the head on the block, which in turn would make it still a stock ls/vtec. With stock pistons (even with P30 pistons in the block) and stock cams you're not gonna get nearly enough power from a tune to get you even close to Type R numbers. A stock ls/vtec is usually on par with a stock GSR motor depending on what tranny you throw on the ls/vtec.

I believe total JDM is a vendor on this site so i'm sure they are decent. I've never dealt wit them. HMotorsOnline.com has the best vouches hands down and I can see why, seeing as how i've picked up TONS of motors from them in the past and when I go to their warehouse everything is always clean and organized. Not to mention when they run a compression test on a motor, if there is any cylinder that is even slightly low, they put that motor away and try and find you a better one. I've seen shops get no compression out of motors so they rip it apart, do a valve adjustment, make sure valves aren't sticking, ect... just pretty much do anything to get compression.

:werd: :withstupid:

9. Mike_995

Mike_995 New Member

Im still unsure of what im gonna do, Im kinda considering doing a b20 vtec swap, it should work out to be cheaper, and it should have around the same hp with way more tq. The only thing Im worried about with that engine, is having to swap out the rods because I doubt the stocks will take 8000 rpms.

10. 99sidude

Get some arp rod bolts for some added assurance in the bottom end.

11. Mike_995

Mike_995 New Member

Yea I mise well since Ill have the engine completly disasembled, ive been reading around and it seems as though the engine is fairly safe at around 8000 rpms, I just dont want to litter the ground with bits of my block.

12. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

a b18b w/ a GSR or type r tranny would be pretty quick.. when i start another project (CRX) .. i'm gonna swap an ls.. build it n/a for a daily..

13. vi3tnam3e

vi3tnam3e New Member

i have a 93 del sol with a 94 b18b1 with a 96 GSR tranny, intake and catback, i tied with a GSR Tuned with ECU Chiped in a 95 hatchback.

14. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Uh, ok? Thanks for sharing?

This thread is three months old dude, check the dates on stuff before you post...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted