94 Delsol smokes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tecdelsol

I bought the car used, after having it for about a month it started over heating, so i changed the thermo and the rad cap and it quit over heating. the other night driving home it started to putter and blow white smoke out the exuast like crazy at a low rpm or sitting still, when the rpms hit about 3 1/2 it would run fine and stop smoking. about 10min later it started overheating like crazy and covering the road in white smoke out of the exuast. Anyone have any ideas? the oil is dark black, and the coolant looks neon green still im pretty sure

blown head gasket
uggg i was hoping that wouldn't be it :/. what causes it to blow? how much is it usally to fix? The car was acting alittle sluggish before all this happened, didnt seem to be as fast as it should would that lead up to it?

it just happens, i mean its a gasket they all blow one day. but its hard to say on cost because all shops will charge a different price, but just call around and ask, and also double check to make sure thats what it is. look for leaks

Normaly u will get charged 3-5 hours of labor, most shops are $60 an hour these days... dunno were u live, but get a Chivron or Haneys manual and some freinds and change it out yourself... another thing to look for is in ya over flow bottle look for headgasket matrial would be brownish... Also drive down the road for 3mins, and check the oil cap for a milk white residue

if you do the head gasket your self check the head for cracks and warpage from over heating it but it sounds like a head gasket... it takes me like an hour to do one...

Ty ty for all the info. It was the head gasket after starting to take the head off i noticed the oil//coolant mix everwhere... Take the heads off and having them magnaflushed at a local shop, just having a bit of a issue getting the intake manifol off of it :*( damn bolts not wanting to come loose. and kinda a pain to get into. plus autozone gave me the wrong gasket so i have a day or 2 of time to kill to get the new one. Is there anything else i should go ahead and do at this point before putting everything back togeather?

Also it has a D15b2 engine in it, after checking the specs on it, would it be better to swap it with a b16 or just stick with whats in it?

Well you have gone from replacing a head gasket, and D Series is a fun cheap motor to build but if your looking for a step up I would go with B. B offers imo alot more customization vs D. Then again I love my D series motors so idk what to tell ya... a Sol with a B is alot of fun!

Have the head shaved while its' off. Good insurance because if its' warped, the 'new' gasket could blow shortly after. And if you have a compressor, blow out the head-bolt holes so you won't have crap in them when you put it back together. Maybe use a little carb/brake cleaner in the holes if there is old sealer on the bolts
And bypass the fan thermosensor so at least 1 fan will be on when the key it at "RUN"
On my 90 civ 4dr. (D15b2?) it was between the intake and the oil filter with a little black rubber boot that had two wires. Run a jumper between those and that should get the fan running... BUT, that's if the fan is good.
Hope that helps.

E

Last edited:
White smoke pouring out of the exhaust at idle is also a good sign of bad piston rings...
Im sure your headgasket is toast as well... just pull the oil dipstick out and see if the oil
on it looks like milkshake... if it does, than coolant is mixing with the oil.

coolant mixed with oil is good for around 80hp right?

Back