94 ex tranny swap with 94 lx (nov vtec)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ipodhappy1

Does anyone know if a automatic tranny out of a 94 lx which is non vtec will go straight into my 94 EX which has vtec? Are there wiring differences between these two?

thanks,
tim.

Tim, I commented over in the other thread about this where we first discussed this, but mechanically the 94 EX bolted up to the 96 EX and everything matched perfectly. I have yet to drive it, tomorrow I have some small things to wrap up, but I will post back. If it all goes perfect, then you can use that tranny you said you had from a 96/97 and it will be fine. As for the LX vs. EX, eh, you got me there man, but I am positive it would bolt up, it's the same exact bottom end to a T, it's just a matter of the TCU and internals and whether the LX is meant to handle the extra 15HP. Call a Honda dealership and ask them to compare part numbers on the entire transmission assemblies and if its all the same you are fine. But don't forget to do all your seals while you are at it, especially the input shaft and rear main seals! They're cheap while you're in there, expensive as hell when you're not.

To follow up Tim, I did the swap and had zero compatibility issues. I used a 94 EX transmission in a 96 EX, so essentially OBDII to OBDI on the transmission, and I did not have to change a damn thing but the tranny. I believe the EX and LX use the exact same transmission. And even if they do not from the factory, I am sure the worst that would happen is you would need the TCU. Still highly unlikely, I would expect the LX/EX to be a non-issue. The LX tranny may be slightly lighter duty internally because of the 15 less crank HP stock, but I truly doubt that.

Ipod...I dont think EX / LX matters as said ^...BUT im pretty sure a VTEC engine needs a VTEC tranny...someone correct me if im wrong please

Ipod...I dont think EX / LX matters as said ^...BUT im pretty sure a VTEC engine needs a VTEC tranny...someone correct me if im wrong please

What does VTEC have to do with the transmission?

Actually, let me answer that: Nothing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the functioning of the transmission.

An LX/DX transmission should work fine on an EX motor...

Back