94 Honda Accord Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VANG720

My friend blew his motor and so we did a motor swap. His car was originally 94 EX Accord (F22B1). We replaced it with a 95 F22B1 motor and tranny. Everything went well, started right up. But it runs like crap when it gets to running temperature. Two cylinders shut down (1 and 3).

I did a compression test and the results are 150-160 accross the board.

Leak-down test didn't show any sign of leakage either.

No engine code.

I've changed the IAC valve, made sure all vaccum lines are good, change throttle body along with map sensor and tps sensor, changed distributors, ignitors, coolant temperature sensor, injector resister box, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, new NGK sparkplugs.

sparks are good through all wires, all injectors plugs have power and ground, engine harness has good ground.

I thought it was a bad head, so I swapped out another head but it's still doing the same.

Any Ideas, anyone?

That really sounds like ignition/ignition timing- have you tested the ignition module? I know you said you replaced the distributor and that would cover the coil, wiring, cam position sensor, and ignition module, so the last thing I can think of if you bought a brand new distributor is did you guys try a different ECU? I'd buy one just for the hell of it- and then the crank sensor is the next thing to look into if the ECU doesn't correct the problem. That sucks you've sunk all that money into it, you certainly had sound logic on all of that, and I can tell you know what you're doing with the electrical diagnosis procedures. Also shitty is that you'd have to tear the timing end of the block down a little ways to do the crank sensor.

Was there any difference btweeen before and after with the second head? Did you check the block thoroughly for warping/cracks? Did you use a new head gasket and studs? Have you checked compression and done a leakdown both before and after the engine is warm?

I have not tested the components in the distributor but I tried a complete distributor and ecu from a good running car. Still does the same thing. There's no crank sensor on the timing side. It's all in the distributor. The block and head checked within spec, if it was to have warpage it should show on the leakdown test. With a sine bar and filler gages the head and blocks are well within spec. Ran the same with new head. It runs really good until it warms up and then it sounds like its missing. No Smoke. Consistantly cylinder 1 and 3. Cuts off after excelleration, but runs fine in excelleration.

Fuel pump relay? But that wouldn't be isolated to 2 cylinders. Hmmm... Sounds EXACTLY like what I tried to track down on a 96 Nissan 2.4 truck recently, I gave up pretty quickly because I am not as familiar with Nissan as Honda. I don't suppose you've asked a tech at a dealer?

Now that you mention the absence of a crank sensor, I remember thinking that was strange on the 94 I did the timing on. I've done 10+ of the 96-97 and wondered why it didn't have one.

Btw if you need any relays or odds and ends to eliminate possibilities let me know- I just stripped a 94 Accord EX auto down to the frame, literally, and I have all kinds of stuff left over that won't go for anything on ebay. I just thought of something you didn't list, have you replaced the EGR valve?

Back