94 integra ls non-vtec to gsr vtec question...vtec not working.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

muuurph

Alright, ive been troubleshooting for a few weeks, here and there on spare time, i have a 94 gsr engine in a 90 civic ef si. power is going to the selenoid at 4400 rpms ive checked that, ive changed the selenoid and the pressure switch and thats fine..

so what i need to know is do you have to drill out an ls head on a gsr block? its something in my engine why its not working, it hasnt worked since we swapped it.

thanks guys.

also, vtec is at 4400 and butterflies are at 5700 right?

DSCF6263.jpg

DSCF6264.jpg

DSCF6265.jpg

DSCF6266.jpg

DSCF6524.jpg

Last edited:
no, butterflies come first. and if the motor was working before and vtec was fine, then why would you need to drill anything. check oil level make sure its full

so do butterflies come at 4400 rpm and vtec at 5700? cause mechanic said the wires might be backwards on the ecu hookup...like gsr selenoid wire is where vtec is suppoosed to be and vtec selenoid is going to where the other selenoid wire should be...

i hope it is that so i can just swap them...thanks.

yeah swap them around and see how it goes

k i know the wire to the vtec is purple? or at least on my car..what color should the gsr selenoid wire be? thanks.

just make sure the wires are going to the proper pin out on the ecu. and im assuming you are running a vtec ecu

yeah i have a 94 obd1 p72 ecu..

i checked the wires, i swapped them but then checked under the hood and cut open some of the harnesses and found that they were right before...so what do i do next? you dont have to drill out a non-vtec head do you to make it vtec?

Look at this link it has the pinouts for a obd1 p72. Trace the wires from the ecu all the way to vtec solenoid and pressure switch to make sure they are correct. Another thing is the check engine light on? It would help point you in the right direction especially if something is not wired right because it would throw a code right away.

ya the first code was pressure switch, 22, now its 21 which is vtec selenoid. but i just replaced that so idk.

Make sure you pin them in the correct plugs.

☼ V-tec Pin outs
V-tec Solenoid = A4
V-tec Pressure Switch = D6
Knock Sensor = D3

The V-tec solenoid has a large Pin and pressure switch/knock both have a small pin. That should take care of your troubles. Once you wire it up correctly make sure to reset the ecu.

Back