95 Accord LX, what JDM engines will work here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nicholi185

Hello everyone who reads, I am new to the forums, never used before. I am looking into building a sleeper for the street. I am good with the building process and performance mods that will do well, except where to find a cross-reference table for what is interchangeable between engines and what cars they will fit. If anyone can point me to the right web page for this I would greatly appreciate it! The two engines I am looking at right now is the INTEGRA GS-R B18C1 and the PRELUDE VTEC H22 (will they fit into a 95 Honda Accord LX 4 Door?). I am also aware of the CV axels being too long afer a swap like this, looking into dropping the vehicle enough to have a shorter pair of axels be perfectly or close to level into the wheel hub (any knowledge please share). another possibility is changeing the rear drum brakes out with disk, any sugestions of what vehicle I can salvage this from?

Welcome to the forums! Here's some "Honda Swapping 101" for you...

When it comes to 90s era Hondas, there are basically two "families" of cars that have easy engine interchangeability. The first family would be the Civics (and all their variants, Del Sol, CR-X, etc.), and the Acura Integras. The second family would be the Accords and the Preludes.

The H22 comes from the Prelude, and is an EXTREMELY easy swap for the Accord. It's essentially a bolt-in swap, and as such, you shouldn't have any problem with axel length issues. This is the swap that I would recommend.

The B18C comes from the Integra, and is a bolt-in swap (with the right combo of OEM or after-market mounts) for Civics. For Accords or Preludes however, it is NOT a bolt-in, and in fact, would need to be a completely custom job. No after-market companies make mounts for swapping a B-series engine into an Accord or Prelude.

And honestly, you really don't want that B18 in your Accord anyway. B-series engines work fine for the lightweight Civics and Integras, but the Accord and Prelude are bigger, heavier cars and need more torque to get them moving. The B18C only puts out 128 ft/lbs torque, which is actually LESS then the engine that's already in your Accord. The peak horsepower is a bit higher then the Accord's, but without the torque it's kind of a moot point.

The H22 will provide a torque boost and a SIGNIFICANT (50+) horsepower boost. Combine that with the fact that it's a bolt-in swap and your choice should be obvious...

95 Honda Accord Engine management and interchangeability.

Excellent, Sounds great! I appreciate your response!

On the axels, though shortning is not needed for direct swap, if I were to lower the vehicle to get the axels more level to reduce some of the friction in the joints (for longer life of them), will there be a need to shorten them if lowered?

Also, what will I need to do about engine management. I know the ECU will need to be replaced, but can I use the same Engine compartment harness? If no, where can I get the harness for this engine and the info to repin the ECU connector?

Still looking for info on the rear drum to disk conversion. do the swaps between the Prelude and Accord pertain to suspension as well? What year ranges affect these compatbilities?

I am also looking for a compatible swap of the upper control arms, so I only have to replace the ball-joint rather than the entire arm.

Oh yes, I forgot to add a selection between the OBD I or OBD II Engine. Whats the difference in engine harness and which one would be a better selection for a chip mod or Variable/programable management system?
If this will also affect the compatibility of the engine with my vehicle how would I identify if its an OBD I or II vehicle? If I am correct that a OBD II looks similar to the shape of the outer rim of a VGA computer cable, Then I do recall the difference (just a little clearification here)!

This is the Image of my vehicles ECU test connector (more of a jumper location to watch the light blink). Seems to be neither OBD 1 or 2. with an engine swap to the prelude H22 whats the advise on this sutuation (is this 95 accord capable)?

95 should be OBD1. Most Hondas adapted OBDII in 96. As such, I would look for an OBD1 H22. Also, sticking with OBD1 will provide the most engine management options. To just get started, you can simply use the Prelude's computer. Also, you shouldn't need to replace your entire harness. The Accord's harness should suffice with some provisions added for VTEC (I believe there's a how to article in the reference section on this).

As for the question about the axles. I don't know honestly. I've never worried about it when lowering cars. For the rear discs, the EX model Accord actually had factory rear discs, so that would be the easiest swap for you...

Trying to do a swap for. 95 accord dx f22b2 looking for h22 but don't really know we're to start I have a non vtec 5speed what engine I can get for a direct fit

Last edited:
Wassup guys i have a 95 accord lx coupe that has a f22b2 block will a engine from a 97 accord sedan fit ? Are engines compatible for swapping ? I dont know much about cars

Wassup guys i have a 95 accord lx coupe that has a f22b2 block will a engine from a 97 accord sedan fit ? Are engines compatible for swapping ? I dont know much about cars

I used to have a 1997 Accord sedan and i went to the Junk yard to get engine parts and body parts. My frind needed parts for his 95 Accord coupe and i gave him my old parts that still worked but were still bad. The engine parts fit, but they both had F22B2 engines. However things that are body and year specific didn't, as in the turn signals.

Back