95 block, 99 head - B18C1, which dizzy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Essenar

If I recall correctly, I use the Dizzy matching the year of the car, so since it's a 92-95 Civic, I'd use an OBD1 Dizzy? (94-95 GSR dizzy)

Im not sure if the obd1 gsr dizzy is the same as the odb2.. if i were you i would use a obd2 gsr dizzy beacuse thats what year the head is and thats where the dizzy goes(camshaft in the head).. I bought a 95 b18b dizzy for my jdm obd2 b18b and it didnt fit.. i had to buy another obd2 dizzy and soldier the wires... wasnt hard just a waste of money for the other dizzy that didnt fit.

the obd1 b18b dizzy is the exact same as the obd2 b18b dizzy except the plugs are different. they have the same parts numbers on all the components inside too. ^^^^^ Are you sure it wouldnt fit if you turned the dizzy shaft 180 degrees?

silva95teg said:
the obd1 b18b dizzy is the exact same as the obd2 b18b dizzy except the plugs are different. they have the same parts numbers on all the components inside too. ^^^^^ Are you sure it wouldnt fit if you turned the dizzy shaft 180 degrees?
It wouldnt fit for me.. it fit 180 backwards on the cam and didnt fire the right order... the one from the 95 i got was td46u and the obd2 one is td85u.. so they were different... i got it off ebay from a guy parting out a 95 ls he said... i just got the obd2 one and had to splice and soldier cause when i pulled the wires from the plugs they wouldnt fit in the plug from my obd1harness they were alittle to big.

silva95teg said:
Where the fuck are all these dumbass noobs coming from? A non-vtec distributor will NOT fit on a vtec head without bootlegging it....turning the distributor shaft 180 degrees wouldn't make a shit of difference seeing as the housings are different...

As far as which distributor to use, use the same OBD or newer distributor as the ECU that you're using...i.e. if you've got an obd0 ecu you can use an obd0, obd1, or obd2 distributor; if you have an obd1 ecu you can use an obd1 or obd2 distributor; if you have an obd2 ecu you can only use an obd2 distributor.

If the distributor is a different OBD than your car, you'll have to rewire the distributor plug, but this is a simple color-matching process.

edit: on another note, if your problem is that it's firing in the wrong order, you have your plug wires on wrong.

civicious said:
Where the fuck are all these dumbass noobs coming from? A non-vtec distributor will NOT fit on a vtec head without bootlegging it....turning the distributor shaft 180 degrees wouldn't make a shit of difference seeing as the housings are different...

As far as which distributor to use, use the same OBD or newer distributor as the ECU that you're using...i.e. if you've got an obd0 ecu you can use an obd0, obd1, or obd2 distributor; if you have an obd1 ecu you can use an obd1 or obd2 distributor; if you have an obd2 ecu you can only use an obd2 distributor.

If the distributor is a different OBD than your car, you'll have to rewire the distributor plug, but this is a simple color-matching process.

edit: on another note, if your problem is that it's firing in the wrong order, you have your plug wires on wrong.

Hey bud .... this "noob" as you call me is comming from canada .... and i was reffering to the post above mine which had nothing to do with vtec period.....it was b18B into b18B. And as far as the b18b dizzys go i have both a 95 and a 2000 sitting here and i just had both apart and they are identical internally..... the 180 degree thing i was referring to is because on the b18b it looks like it could go in two ways, but one one of the two ways will it go right in .... hence 180 degrees ... once again directed at the poster above me.... so you can keep your "dumbass" comments to yourself thanks.

silva95teg said:
Hey bud .... this "noob" as you call me is comming from canada .... and i was reffering to the post above mine which had nothing to do with vtec period.....it was b18B into b18B. And as far as the b18b dizzys go i have both a 95 and a 2000 sitting here and i just had both apart and they are identical internally..... the 180 degree thing i was referring to is because on the b18b it looks like it could go in two ways, but one one of the two ways will it go right in .... hence 180 degrees ... once again directed at the poster above me.... so you can keep your "dumbass" comments to yourself thanks.

you're coming from canada? figures...

this thread is asking about what distributor to use in a VTEC head, and I'm having trouble finding where anyone asked about a non-VTEC distributor...
Im not sure if the obd1 gsr dizzy is the same as the odb2.. if i were you i would use a obd2 gsr dizzy beacuse thats what year the head is and thats where the dizzy goes(camshaft in the head).. I bought a 95 b18b dizzy for my jdm obd2 b18b and it didnt fit.. i had to buy another obd2 dizzy and soldier the wires... wasnt hard just a waste of money for the other dizzy that didnt fit.
I'm not seeing where he asked any questions, and I'm sure as hell not seeing the relevance in your post to his. His distributor didn't fit because the plugs on OBD1 and OBD2 distributors are different...but hey, look at this! He fixed his fitment issue by soldering different plugs on it!

And here's another piece for ya, bacon farmer...you say they're identical internally? You sure about that? Rewire an OBD1 distributor with OBD2 plugs and plug it into a car with an OBD2 ecu and see how it runs. That's right dipshit, it won't. You HAVE to use the SAME OBD or NEWER distributor as your ECU. You can't use an OBD1 distributor with an OBD2 ecu. Sure, the internals may LOOK the same, but that doesn't mean they ARE the same.

so .... you tell me what internal components are different between the two .... and i am not saying look , i am saying i have read the part numbers off the icm as well as the coil and i know those are for sure the same, so the only thing that could be different are the tdc,ckp, and cyp sensors..... but it is pretty doubtful, and i personally know someone using an obd1 b18b dizzy , which he put obd2 plugs onto and his car is running fine with an obd2 computer..... maybe our canadian parts are different then the usa parts, for example our alternators only use three wires. i am not going to argue with you anymore or with your asinine comments regarding myself or the country i live in.

silva95teg said:
so the only thing that could be different are the tdc,ckp, and cyp sensors.....
...which are all sensors that are vital to the car's operation.

The electronics are different, it won't work.

As I've said millions of times (not just in this thread), you have to use the same OBD or newer distributor as your ECU.

Are you serious you said you can use a obd1 distributor on a obd0 car with a obd0 ecu?
Im just making sure i understood you here.

yes, actually, you can.

and if you don't believe me, I'll be more than happy to drive my CRX to your shop as soon as I get it painted, remove my OBD1 P28 and jumper harness, and plug in an OBD0 Si ecu and let you drive it around the parking lot.

youre fighting......interesting battles today, son. Especially for a person with 15 posts. If you got a problem with Wil dont bring that shit here. He might be a douche bag, but he's our douche bag, and ill fight to the death to preserve his right to be a douche bag......hell, id take the fat chick for the boy.

oh, and in the case, he's right. now if he tried to hook an OBD2 computer to an OBD1 engine or vis versa id beat his ass and then yours for ccalling him out on it.

Last edited:
Whoa what the hell happened here? I stated that an obd1 dizzy didnt fit the right way on my obd2 motor ... it was 180 degrees backwards... Lets just get back to the main question, would the obd1 dizzy fit on the 99obd2 head he has.. cause in my case the odb1 didnt, it didnt fit in the cam the right way... so use the dizzy from the obd2 gsr and splice the wires from the one big plug used on a obd2 harness to the two littler plugs on the obd1 harness and be done with it.

FuCoSPD said:
so use the dizzy from the obd2 gsr and splice the wires from the one big plug used on a obd2 harness to the two littler plugs on the obd1 harness and be done with it.

Yes, that will work.

sorry...ego's getting in the way...lol

vtecsir1 said:
too bad i fucking said this like 3 weeks ago so whats the point of saying it again?
Cause you said OR rewire an obd2 dizzy... if im not mistaken an obd1 dizzy wontfit on an obd2 head. Just what ive learned from previous experience.

Back