95 Civic CX Coupe needs a new engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ggerg1186

I haven't played with Honda four wheelers in a while. My brother has a 1995 civic CX and he is pretty sure he grenaded the non-VTEC motor. (I don't know, because I live two states away and won't be there to help him swap the motor till later today)

He said he found a 1.6L VTEC engine from a 1995si. I am certain the engine will fit, but he is only getting the engine for $300. So my question, does he need the VTEC engine controller as well? He plans to keep his 5sp manual trans, so I assume axles and engine/transmission mounts should be OK.

Other answers that will help me search for my own answers...
I haven't seen this many acronyms since I was a civilian engineer for the army, I recognize OBD, and ECM, but can you tell me which model of engine my brother grenaded, and which model of engine should be coming from the civic si? When I get to Michigan I will be able to look at casting numbers, but I appreciate a heads up now if you don't mind.

It apears, from searching on this forum, that both cars are 5th generation, right?

Final request: Based upon the information I have given, which is all I know till about 10 hours from now when I get to MI, if you know of a thread that will help me out here, or if this is a bad swap, I sure would appreciate the answer and/or links pointing me to the information I am looking for.

both cars are 5th gens
both cars are OBD-1
1995 CX engine - D15B8
1995 Si engine - D16Z6
ECU he needs - P28
he will need to wire up VTEC
the D16Z6 will be miserable with the CX gearing... though coming from a CX he might not notice or care too much
mounts will be the same
dont know what exactly he is getting with this swap so i cant really tell you for sure what else he is going to want or need to get to make this work

good luck

Well. I think we scored a good deal. My brother thought he was only getting an engine, but it turns out the guy had the Civic SI engine, 5sp manual trans, clutch, hydraulic master and slave, axles, ECM, engine wirng harness, and dash harness. :blink:

Anything we are missing? :thankyousigna2:

Oh, and BTW, the old CX motor still runs but has a pretty serious main bearing knock. Brother said he was driving, it overheated, something let go (head gasket?) and blew the oil cap off of the engine, spraying oil everywhere. Autospy results later, :doctor:

Well, we wired A4 and D6 to the connector on the shock tower. Engine runs pretty good and has power, but we have a CEL. We will have to go get that checked out.

How do you confirm the VTEC is working?

Motor idles a little low and rough when the engine is warm. Otherwise it seems pretty responsive and runs good. Sounds pretty good mechanically. Shifts smooth and the lutch is grabby.

BTW its a 95 SI motor with the P28 ECU

chassis is a 95CX

I only ran two wires from the ECU to the Engine Harness. I stole the two wires from the SI chassis harness. The SI chassis harness did not have a wire in D3 so I assume the motor does not have a knock sensor.

Back