95 civic engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22acivic

Hi, Im new to the whole honda world, I know a decent amount as I have many friends with hondas and acuras, I was originally a domestics guy, but I figured Id give the import world a try. Here is my plan.
I already have a daily driver that I use and want to make a moddest street car that I can whoop some ass in, now I'm 17 and I work so I can get some decent money.
At work I got a buddy that will sell me his 95 civic dx or hx, that has some minor wheel wheel rust through, and a crappy interior, many spills etc. for 900 the mileage is high around 150000 but it doesnt matter becuase the frame is perfect and the guy took very good care of it. I plan on gutting the car and swapping in a real engine. I want to get a engine that can make this thing haul so I was looking at gettting a H22a engine to swap in from a website called hondahopupsales.com, I talked to a guy there that said he could get me a full swap with the right axles, a lsd tranny, wiring harness and everything else except for the mounts for 2850 shipped to my door.
my questions are, what do you veterans think of the h22a civic swaps, I heard mixed reviews on it.
also if you recommend something else, what engine then. Money is obtainable so with in reason I will be willing to spend, by the way I will be upgrading the engine completly in stages, starting with the basics all the way down to the internals and hopefully a turbo come next summer.
I hear the engine is too heavy for the chasis but a while back I thought I read that there was a 40 pound differences between an h22 and a 18 but now that I think about it that seems off.
I want decent handling so thats one issue.
other questions I have are do you kow the weights of the engines, such as the b16s the 18s and the 22s, and about this company have any of you ever hearf of this hondahopupsales.com.

thanks for readingm my babble, all help is greatly and most thankfully appreciated. KYLE

the h22a is roughly 65 lbs heavier than a b18c1. add the LSD diff, so probably 70.

personally, i think the h22 sucks. other people like it.

as for the shop, i've never heard of them.... but that price shipped with the lsd tranny is almost too good to be true.. let alone throwing in the extra set of axles you would need (another couple hundred as you need 4 axles to make the 2 you need)

if you want to go turbo next year- i say scrap the h22. there is hardly any support for the h-series when it comes to serious parts. moreover, the h22 is plysically bigger than a b-series, thus making room for a turbo harder to squeez in there, although possible.

if you want decent handeling, you will notice a "push" from the extra weight at the limits of the cars cornering ability. a b-series car will be much faster through an autox than an h22 car.

if i were you, id get a b18c. it might be a little more money- but you don't need the $500 mounts, so it ends up being about the same.
it's a much easier swap to do on top of it.
the h22 uses a cable style shift linkage and will require you to cut your firewall for this to work. the b-seires will simply use the integra shift linkage.

There are alot of additional costs on top of getting the engine to keep in mind.
How are you going to do the swap? yourself or take it to a garage and pay to have it done? [$1000 for most "performance shops to do the install]

you are probably going to want to get a new exhaust and intake [$300 - $600]

you might have to replace timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, etc [depends on what type of stuff you get]

anyway, if you want to go turbo anyway then I'd say go with a B engine for ease of installation and more room for the turbo.

if you want to save some money you could go with a sohc 1.6 vtec, it won't be much faster untill you get the turbo put on, but it will save you a bunch of cash

I bought my B16 with LSD from japan direct in NC (www.usedengine.com)
I've heard good things about Hmotorsonline as well

good luck

My buddy has a H22 in a civic hatch and it was dead even with a talon turbo that was pushing close to 300hp! his car absolutly rips ass! They are great to go fast but a bitch it install. Good luck!
Darin

I've seen civic HBs with stock H22s and bolt ons run high 12s. It's mainly the torque from that motor that makes it jump off the line. FOr handling however,you are probally best off with a B18C or the like. I think it isn't totally teh weight of the H22 that throws it off, but also the placement of the motor. I don't think it would sit as low or as far back as the B-series motors.

thanks a lot for all the help, now I plan on doing the install myself, I know what I'm doing tho it will be the 3rd install I will have been a part of, now if I decide to go the b18 route which one would you say is the best one for the car and for tuning, and also what exactly do I need axle and shift linkage wise, thanks for the help Kyle

Originally posted by darwins_vtech@Jul 24 2003, 11:33 AM
My buddy has a H22 in a civic hatch and it was dead even with a talon turbo that was pushing close to 300hp! his car absolutly rips ass! They are great to go fast but a bitch it install. Good luck!
Darin

'rips ass'?

It farts? :lol:

Originally posted by h22acivic@Jul 24 2003, 12:38 PM
thanks a lot for all the help, now I plan on doing the install myself, I know what I'm doing tho it will be the 3rd install I will have been a part of, now if I decide to go the b18 route which one would you say is the best one for the car and for tuning, and also what exactly do I need axle and shift linkage wise, thanks for the help Kyle

b18c1

the gsr engine

dont get me wrong but the h22 is a pretty big motor. all the guys i talk to after they got the swap all say the same thing (the car is a bitch to drive).for daliy driving i would go with a b16a\b, b18c1/5, ls-vtec, or the b18a\b. im running a b18c1 in my hatch and i love the way the car drives, but if you want to get the h22 please do so.

If I am not mistaken doesn't the different mount kits for the H series into the 5th gen chassis position it differently with different brands? Not sure on that but that is something to consider also if you are going to go with the H series.

I still say go with a B series, there is tons of aftermarket support for all three ways to move down the 1320 wtih this motor. H series can be made to handle fine. I have driven one and it has lots of tq down low. It is a good motor to just drop in and add some bolt on's and go straight and run 12's. It all depends on what you want and how fast you want to go.

Milan

if you plan on going turbo defanitely do the ls or gsr block. i hear itr is no fun to turbo.

another alternative would be a hybrid motor such as b20/vtec or ls/vtec. you might wanna look into these as they can put down numbers comparible to that of an h22.

This is going to seem ironic because of my screen name (I created my account when I thought that the H22A was the be-all-end-all of Honda motors), but I'm going to have to agree with pissedoffsol on this one.

I own a '92 Civic VX Hatch. I got my JDM B18C SiRG (GSR to the layperson) motor with LSD tranny, shift linkage, axles, ECU and wiring harness from Hmotorsonline.com for $3800 shipped. My tuning team (RevolutionR Tuning, represent!) and I did the swap in three days, in my garage. I bought some other goodies (GReddy EVO, AEM CAI, skunk2 coilovers, straight-pipe, no cat... shhh!) that totaled about $1200.

Let me tell you, dude, it scoots ass like you wouldn't believe and with the skunk2 coils, it handles like a champ. The B18C will not fail you, I promise. Hmotors are really cool people, too. All my sensors were good and it started up without a hitch.

I personally recommend the JDM GSR motor. Why? 180 horses dues to higher compression (10.6:1) and around 125 lb. ft. of torque. It's the most powerful B-series motor you can buy without dropping the extra Benjamins for a Type R unit.

If you want to do some fabrication and end up going way faster in a straight line, dude, more power to you- the H22A is your best friend. However, if you're looking for a fast car with great handling, invest in a nice B-series motor and some sweet suspension pieces. You'll be fuckin' golden. :D

Hey H22aCivic i tryed that website and it said it wasnt available. can you PM me the website so i can check it out. thanx

I'm lookin to get a b18c1 swap in '95 HB as well. May be stupid question but...when you order the motor, where do they ship it to? I'm guessing you have to pick it up at UPS office/FedEx or something? I'll look into Hmotorsonline:) thanks guys.

I PERSONALLY, WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THE H22, MY BUDDY AS AN F23A1 NON VTEC, IN HIS EG CIVIC, HE DOES 15. FLAT CAUSE THE CAR IS IMPOSSIBLE TO LAUNCH HE CAN SQUEAL 1-4 TH, AN 1 TO 3RD HE CAN SQUEAL THE WHOLE GEAR TOO TORQUY, I CAN JUST IMAGINE WHAT THE H22 IS LIKE MAN O MAN, INSANE

Back