95 Civic H22A and LSD Tranny swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GreatJDP

I just recently bought a 95 civic with the 1.5 SOHC non V-tech granny engine and tranny... I'm buying a H22A engine with an LSD 5speed transmision... My question is are there any major front end modifications that need to be done to accomodate the LSD tranny.. My friend thinks my front end won't be able to handle the LSD. So I was wondering if anyone might be able to provide me with any info on this. I've tried searching online and so far haven't found anything yet. So would it be ok to to leave my front end as is or do I need to beef it up a little? and if I do leave it as is... what are my chances of encountering problem from the LSD transmission. I'm new to this and this is my first swap so any info would greatly be appreciated. You can post back here or feel free to email me. Thanks in advance guys.

I would suggest a solid cross member (Which I believe the cross member needs to be cut out and new one moved forward), sway bar, upper strut and stronger axles. There's a book on the swap but can't remember the name. I've seen H22 in numerous EG's and its possible to run the set up and not worry too much about the front end (But if you ain't breaking parts...you ain't making power) and that all depends on hp output no matter what size the Honda engine (B, H, K Series)

Good Luck!!

I think he's talking about the front end holding the load of both tires gripping at the same time with the LSD...not the size of the transmission

Yes that is what I'm talking about... I'm worried if the front end will hold up being the stock civic lx front end or do I need to upgrade anything axels etc...I'm also a little concerned about some of the adjustments and modifications I might have to make... My civic is 95 LX 4door... I believe the LSD tranny that will come with the H22a kit that I'm buying uses cables as the linkage which I believe is different than the lx civic has. Has anyone done this swap before or something simmilar? Maybe can give me a heads up on exactly what I'm getting into. I know it's sad but I'm new to Hondas and haven't really done anything this in depth before. Just bolt on's here and there. So I guess you could say I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to swapping.

You need a hydraulic transmission (not cable). You need the WHOLE swap (including Axles ECU shift linkage (I didn't think they were cables but don't quote me), wiring off motor still there, whole motor, trans.

The swap can be technical in comparison to B-series swaps into your car. I would run a B18C or maybe a B20/VTEC Frankenstein rather then an H series motor. You can get tons of power out of a B-series application and not need to worry about mounting the motor to the car (wiring is an issue either way b/c your an LX non-VTEC)

Look into VTEC wiring forums and research what is involved in the wiring of either application.

Front end is fine with the correct axles and such. They get 900+hp Hondas down the track and they're making it happen without twisting the car into a knot.....so you can too.

What kind of springs and struts might you suggest to help compensate the extra weight of the engine?

By the way thanks for all your help thus far...

The Swap I'm buying comes with..
Complete HeadComplete BlockIntake ManifoldExhaust ManifoldInjectorsThrottle BodyPower Steering PumpSensorsFuel RailAlternatorDistributorA/C CompressorECUStarterClutchFlywheelLSD 5-SPD TRANSMISSION

You always need the Axles for the MOTOR/TRANS you're putting in (not axles for your car) I didn't see them on your list. You also need a mount kit and look into the book on how to do the H22 swap. You need to cut the cross member and replace it with something similar (fabricated rather easy) and then weld it to the car (placed forward more then the stock cross member) But still...the wiring is an issue if you're not confident with the task.

I would get a book on the swap. I googled something and came up with one example (there may be more)

Ultimate H22 Swap Guide + How-To For Your 92-95 Civic

Check it out

I have OLD SCHOOL neuspeed racing springs (been in my car for well over 10 yrs) for my car and don't seem to have any problems (I had a B18B and now a B16)

The H22 is heavier but not tons heavier. I think Skunk2 makes springs for hybrids (look into it) But I would think civic or maybe integra lowering springs would be fine. Just my opinion though

I agree with Nick. Its a pain in the a$s to run an H22 but you'll be a little different and stand out more if you do (although I'm a B-series man)

It's too late, I already ordered the H22A...Got the Red Top series... Will be arriving next week... I'm very excited... I know it's gonna be a pain the ass but I think it will be well worth it by the time it's all said and done....

I do have another concern... If this is going to be such a tight space... how hard is it gonna be to make a Turbo fit?

I'm going to look into the axels.... I'm pretty sure we can make do on the crossmember as far as fabricating something... I'm gonna look into some really good struts and springs and even a sway bar probably..

Here's some pics of the Engine.... Isn't it purrrdy.

motor2.jpg

m0tor.jpg

I hope I did that right....:huh:

Oh another thing.... Seeing as how I'm new to imports... Is there a catalog kinda like Jegs designed for imports or specifically Hondas where you can get a rediculous amount of stuff like in a Jegs catalog?

I would get a book on the swap and a Helms manual for that motor (and maybe your car too) at least get a haynes or something. Motor looks good.

Turbo? One step at a time my friend LMAO

I know turbo can happen sans power steering and A/C

get the swap going and enjoy the new torque and hp change. You'll have hard enogh time keeping traction with that set up.

Turbo means:

Walbro fuel pump, bigger injectors, chipped ECU (Hondata is solid IMO), bad ass axles (obviously not stock ones), plus all the goodies for turbo (which you can sometimes find used ones cheap online) like the turbo, wastegate, intercooler, blow off valve, turbo timer, boost controller, all the piping for it and the tap into your oil pan. that can be your next, next, next project lol

Keep in touch about the swap

Online seems to be my best bet for buying products. I'm not aware of a JEGS type catalog for Hondas but I might be out of the loop. I just look online (Ebay motors has a bunch of stuff) Just google 'til your heart is content. Let me know what you are looking into and I will try to help when I can. Although I don't consider myself and authority on the subject.....thats why I use this site too!!!

How much did you pay for the engine?

No one mentioned K-series yet. What you bought there is like usually the most expensive Honda motor made before 2000.

The h22 swap is easy. dont worry about the haters saying its hard. You will not be sorry you did it. as far as the front end goes... nobody has problems with the civic handling the 'power' of the h22 with or without an LSD tranny. I ran a boosted one on a welded diff on slicks for a whole season at the track and never broke it. youll be fine.

The h22 swap is easy. dont worry about the haters saying its hard. You will not be sorry you did it. as far as the front end goes... nobody has problems with the civic handling the 'power' of the h22 with or without an LSD tranny. I ran a boosted one on a welded diff on slicks for a whole season at the track and never broke it. youll be fine.

A straight line would have less chance of breaking. I've heard of a person in the Chicago area that had a del sol with an H22 in it, used it as a circuit track car, and rolled it when the front end broke off going around a corner mid race..

I hope you can still answer my question above.

But remember you can always keep an eye on it, do extensive testing, and if need be weld supports in.

I paid a little less than $2,000....I got a good deal on it because I had a hook up.... But that's what I paid for it and in my opinion it will be well worth the money, time and effort put forth into this when it's all said and done. I'm pretty excited about getting it going... Now I just have to figure out what exactly I'm gonna do to beef up the front end... I want to do it regaurdless because I want high quality stuff that will last a long time. So now that I've got the engine and tranny coming... I'm gonna have to get some struts/springs axels etc...

Should start the swap sometime this coming week... Very excited.

Back