95 Civic-throttle Positioning Sensor???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pinkclover519

you got beat by a girl!
Ok i have a 95 civic ex, 1.6vtec. it's had the fluctuating high idle since i bought the car, and even with a rebuilt engine, it's still doing it. i've had the fast idle valve replaced and the idle air control motor replaced. it seems to not be as loud as before, but it's still doing it. when the car is first started every day, it revs up and down until the temperature warms up to where it should be. then the air intake tube makes like a soft pop noise and then the fluctuating stops. and then the idle of the car goes down to about 200. i can manually raise the idle to about 1000-1200 but within a month, it drops back down to around 200. everyone has told me to change the throttle positioning sensor, but all the parts stores have told me there isn't one on a 95 civic. i don't know what to do next or where to find a new tps. please help! thanks.

Ok i have a 95 civic ex, 1.6vtec. it's had the fluctuating high idle since i bought the car, and even with a rebuilt engine, it's still doing it. i've had the fast idle valve replaced and the idle air control motor replaced. it seems to not be as loud as before, but it's still doing it. when the car is first started every day, it revs up and down until the temperature warms up to where it should be. then the air intake tube makes like a soft pop noise and then the fluctuating stops. and then the idle of the car goes down to about 200. i can manually raise the idle to about 1000-1200 but within a month, it drops back down to around 200. everyone has told me to change the throttle positioning sensor, but all the parts stores have told me there isn't one on a 95 civic. i don't know what to do next or where to find a new tps. please help! thanks.

Umm, unless I'm on crack, the parts stores are the ones on crack. Take a look at your throttle body. Now then, the TPS should sit right on top of your throttle body, followed by the map sensor right below it. THIS is what your TPS looks like. Those freakin' crackheads. I'd check around for one or go on either Craigslist or here Omni Power USA, Inc - Still Going That is where I got the picture from. It's not the least expensive place, mind you, but it's a starting point. I had the same problem before and someone tried to tell me that I had to change out the entire throttle body. Then I learned that you could just take the TPS off and screw a new one in. Best of luck to you my friend. Let me know how it turns out. :D

TPS is on the back side of the throttle body.. MAP is on top

and you can find a TPS on ebay for about $25

Back