95 cx hatch with 95 ls b18b1 drivetrain - no spark? maybe no fuel to cylinders

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike Diaz

I removed the 8 valve/5 speed drivetrain from my 95 cx Hatch. Installed the complete b18b1/5 speed drivetrain from a 95 ls Integra. I drove both vehicles before the swap so I know they both worked flawlessly . I swapped in the p75 computer from the Integra. Everything is connected. All wires hoses and plugs are connected. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key on

No spark. The new ngk Spark plugs are pretty dry so I'm pretty sure the injectors aren't firing. Any ideas? Is the cx civic wiring harness different? I was sure this swap was a plug and play. Every part of the installation went great. All it does is turn over,but will not start.

Any ideas?

EDIT: fixed, see post #15

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen during one of my swaps. Ended up being a ground wire. Check the one that connects around the thermostat housing. That's the one I had forgotten. If that's not it, then possibly the ignition coil inside the dizzy went bad???

Do you hear the fuel pump click on check you pump and check for fuel pressure at the filter could also pull an injector and turn key on to see if it squirts gas

Oh another thing to check would be the dizzy are you getting power to it and make sure your groud are good EVEN the ecu ground alot of ppl don't check it I had this issue before

Gotta find a pinout for your ecu find the ground wire track it down for breaks or if it's loose there are ecu pinouts on the forums or just google it

Ill find it. Thanks though. I used the Integra distributor. Do I need to use the civic or Integra dizzy?

I don't think its a wiring issue. If both cars ran fine prior...I don't think its a short at least. It is plug and play. Its hard to do but maybe you have a few plugs mis-matched? Silly me for asking but is the fuel hooked up to the fuel rail?

I made sure everything is connected correctly. I've worked on and owned quite a few eg/ek civics. I'm just baffled on what it could be. All 3 plugs are in on the passenger strut tower. The other 2 are connected on the driver side by the clutch master. All 3 grounds are good. Ecu ground is good. Sigh

Sorry bro...I'm stumped. But aren't there 3 plugs on both sides of shock towers? Thought there was......

Yeah. One plug by the clutch master cylinder is not connected to anything and has a cap on it

Last edited:
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, we finally got a few hours to be able to find the problem. We started out by checking all the grounds with a test light, re-checking all the connections and making sure none of the pins were pushed out. Then I removed the distributor and inspected it internally. It was nice and clean, but the spring for the coil was bent over the edge when it was previously installed. I fixed the spring, put it all back together. Still no spark. I made sure the injectors were working with my Matco fuel injector probe that blinks and beeps when it senses the pintle inside the injector opening.

Still going. The wires going to the distributor all checked out good. The coil tested good according to alldata, as well as all the wires for the ICM inside the distributor. When you test the coil first, then the ICM, if everything tests good, then the ICM should be replaced. I replaced the ICM and still no spark. I just decided to replace the coil since I had a spare distributor from my wife's old ek sedan. It started right up.

Be aware, the coil can test good, but still not have any output. Somehow, from driving it onto the lift, removing the engine, and reinstalling it into the Civic, the coil went bad. WTF. She runs good. Now I can move forward with attaching the downpipe to the exhaust, install the poly bushings for the upper and lower control arms, shock fork and upper shock mounts. I already have the front and rear torque mounts fixed with polyurethane bushings. I can't wait to drive her. Video coming soon. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
If that's not it, then possibly the ignition coil inside the dizzy went bad???

Called it!!!! Those ignition coils suck. About a month ago I was helping a friend out with a tune up on his civic. We changed the filters, oil, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The car ran fine before, it was all just preventative. After we put it all back together it wouldn't start. Same thing that happened to you. Magically the coil took a shit.

Back