95 delsol/92 civic vx INTERCHANGEABILTY

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nudvl

Nightscream / Hashirya
The real purpose of this thread to ask all of you how truely our HONDA's are interchangeable!!! Of course the motor, trans and rear suspension will make their way into my hatch!!!!!!! But, I want to install the PM, PW, AC, PS, tilt steering wheel and of course the CRUISE CONTROL because I drive almost 200 miles a day to and from work.

I have brought a 95 del sol for parts it was an automatic but had been converted to a manual. My daily driver is a 92 civic VX 5 speed. Everything I have ever heard about the 92's is that they are wiried for everything and all you have do is plug in the harnesses and your all set. I understand that I have to buy all the switches and door panels out of an EX but really not worried about that at this point.

I don't think the 92 is wired for cruise or any other power unless it came with it, despite what you have heard, if I am wrong then o well, but there are major differences in power cars vs non-power cars as far as the wiring harness goes
Vtec is there but that's about it.
Power steering first since it's the easiest:
LOCK YOUR STEERING WHEELS IN BOTH CARS AS CLOSE TO STRAIGHT forward AS POSSIBLE AND DONT MOVE THEM!!!!!!!
You need time, jacks, and 2 people
You will be removing the entire subframe and power steering rack as a unit from the del-sol and putting in into the civic, you will also need all of the power steering lines, reservoir, and pump/pump brackets
basically pull 1 bolt at the base of the steering column/steering shaft to release linkage, then pop outer tie rods and lower ball joints from the knuckles, and then 8 bolts hold the subframe to the unibody.
if you really need a step by step then you prolly shouldnt do it without someone who is mechanically inclined.
Next is steering column:
Note: make sure your steering wheel DOES NOT MOVE while the rack is out of your civic or the del sol or you will screw up your clockspring wiring (airbag/horn/cruise if equipped)
4 bolts hold the whole steering column in the car, all plugs are interchangable, basically it's a straightforward changout.

AC next:
Wiring for this should be there, there should be a plug right front of car by the engine intake box (filter housing) take all wiring from this point to the fan and swap it over
then swap over all of the a/c hoses/lines condenser and condenser fan, a/c pump and bracket
im not sure if the del-sol evaporator box is the same as the civic so you may need the civic evaporator and evaporator box out of a civic.
You have to pull the dash out of the car for this one, not too hard, 2 or 3 plugs at left of dash into fuse block, 1 or 2 plugs behind "pocket"/under dash center console thing. 1 ground plug behind cluster (tricky to find but it's there)
1 bolt top dead center of dash under center defrost vent
2 bolts 1 on each side under square covers where door panels meet dash
1 bolt right near fuse block
1 bolt behind glove box (must remove glove box to get at it)
Cable from HVAC controller (heater cable) under dash behind glove box, just pop off the holder and pull the cable off the rod (you will see what I mean)
1 bolt bottom center behind pocket thingy.
I thikn it's 4 screws that hold the evaporator box to the rest of the hvac system, all the HVAC wiring is there, just add a button to the switch on the dash (switch is even there, just under a little cover thing)

Now for the p/w/l/mirrors/cruise and I have bad news. . .
you can't do it with those parts, Sorry
Ill start with the power windows:
You need switches, door wiring, chassis door pigtails, power door panels, power mirrors, and window motors. all from an EX civic
NONE of the del-sol stuff will fit or work with the civic, even the window motors are different part numbers. Mirrors are different Pinouts for the del sol switches and wiring is different, del sol panels don't fit.
In order to put the power windows into your civic you need all of the above stuff and some time to wire it up, wiring power windows isn't that difficult on a 2 door civic if you have the door wiring from a power civic and pigtials to attach to the wiring where it went into the power car,
the power motors should attach to your manual window regulators and it's the same price at the junkyard for the regulator with the motor vs jsut the motors
You are really better off buying a set of power doors off a scrap yard, then you could do the mirrors and the door locks too.

Now for the REALLY BAD NEWS Cruise is a different story all together, Cruise control is not an add on like fog lights or a/c or a rear wiper, cruise control is completely integrated into the car, it wires through the ignition, cluster, dashboard, ecu, climate control, headlight control and integrated control unit as well as running through 2 different main harnesses of the vehicle. You are really better off purchasing a civic harness that has cruise already.
Parts list for cruise control:
Main vehicle harness
cruise control unit controller(ecu)
pedal assembly set up for cruise control (has extra spot for cruise cable- this can come off the del-sol)
4 pin brake switch (non-cruise is only 2 pin) This can also come off del-sol
Cruise throttle cable and box (under hood) this can come off del sol also
Cruise clockspring from del-sol
steering wheel from the del-sol with cruise switches attached

Last edited:
So basically you are better off selling the del sol and get an ex civic parts car or go to the junkyard and get the parts, it's ALOT of work and it's NOT fun putting it all in, I am currently at the end of an eg6 right hand drive civic build in which I took a 92 DX and completely gutted the car and put in every option except for a/c I basically had to buy the whole ex parts car that I took parts from, I took the entire vehicle harness from the headlights all the way to the rear wheel well, the power doors, subframe, steering rack, dash etc. etc. etc.
too 2 days to get all the wiring laid back in, (it was harder because it's flipped in a right hand drive car too)
Good luck though

Back