95 Integra B18B1 Cam Gears & Crank Pulley

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SamTegra

Thanks for being patient with me on my first post:

Two nights ago, a buddy and I finished installing my completely rebuilt B18B1 in my mostly stock '95 Integra LS, and I'm now in the poorhouse. The symptom is that she only started with the distributor cap about 12 degrees counterclockwise outside of the narrow range of adjustment (that's counterclockwise as you face the distributor from the passenger side, I think this advances the spark).

The machine shop appears to have given me at least one wrong cam sprocket because when the UP arrows are both up, and the #1 cylinder is at TDC, both cam sprockets' left/right-markers point to the left (not toward each other, like in the Acura shop manual). In other words, both sprockets look identical, when they are supposed to mirror each other.

My temp/cheesy fix was to carefully skip one tooth on both sprockets so that both sprockets are one tooth clockwise of where they "should" be when the crank is at TDC. After carefully wrenching the engine 720 degrees with no valve conflicts, and after centering the distributor cap in the adjustment range, she started right up, I timed her according to the shop manual (jumping the service port, etc), and she runs great, so far.

To further complicate things, I installed a junkyard crank pulley that was supposedly from a '99 Integra. It absolutely matched the original pulley in every dimension; however, I didn't think to verify that the TDC and the three advanced timing marks were all in the same location in relation to the woodruff key, before I threw the original cracked pulley away.

My questions are:
  1. Are "left" and "right" stock B18B1 cam sprockets actuallyidentical? In other words, is the UP arrow as well as the left/right mark on both sides of all sprockets? If so, then I should have reversed one of them to get them to mirror each other, yes? If so, then this may not be the cause of my problem, yes?
  2. Can anyone please verify (within, say 3 degrees) the angle of the center mark of the three advanced timing marks in relationship to the woodruff key on a stock B18B1 crank pulley? The angle of the TDC mark would also be nice, but less important.
I'm fed up with used parts that keep me doubting. Your answers will hopefully save my lazy/poor ass from buying about $390 worth of parts from the dealer. I'ld like to solve this problem this weekend, if possible.

Much thanks in advance,

-SamTegra

Back