95 JDM h22a in a a 1996 Accord EX 2.2L V-Tec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seducer

:angry: Good morning all.... I'm writing with a little bit of an attitude thanks to my Mechanic who claims he knew how to do this swap (telling me it would be just 2-3 days), when it's now been 2 weeks, and my car still isn't done. He has re-wired the engine harness to work with the JDM engine to all the sensors, basically everything except a few wires. He is claiming that there are 6 wires coming from the Accord Crank position sensor, and he's trying to figure out which wires they connect to on the h22a distributor. On the crank position sensor there are (2) beige-like wires, (2) white w/blue line wires, (2) light blue wires. On the H22a just 4 wires which is white, blue, green and pink. Out of the 6 from the accord, which wires go to 4 on the h22a distributor? All other wiring is completed. Does this make sense? If so will someone please help me, so I can forward the info to him. If this sounds retarded...then let me know that too. I'm 2 seconds from sending a flat bed over to his shop, and scooping up my accord and the 2 engines, and letting someone else do this.

:unsure:

He does not know how to do THIS swap, period.

Your 96 Accord is OBD 2. The 95 H22A is OBD 1. That's the first problem. How he wires the engine would depend on the OBD of the computer. If you plan on staying OBD2, you need an OBD 2 computer, and a few more OBD 2 parts for the engine. Otherwise, that wiring is gonna get ugly.

He need to chose one OBD, and run with it. Otherwise, choose another mechanic and run with your car.......

Thanks Tab.... I'm going with an OBD1 cause the engine came with the p13 ecu...what's next? Also he stated that the accord harness doesn't have connectors for the prelude MAP sensor or TPS sensor... is this true? I'm confused as to why this is taking so long to complete the swap.

I know this can be done, but I lack experience in the area. The simplest solution is to remain with the same OBD. You're past that point. Guys that are OBD 2 that want to be OBD 1 usually use a conversion harness. That harness plugs in right at the computer.

You can convert the engine to OBD 2, but it might be expensive. Your distributor, injectors, and something else :hmm: need to be changed.

Mostly, the wiring is just a little different. Many plugs remain unchanged, but those are different.

I really wish I could help more.

if you convert the motor to obd2 you have to add the newer accessories..like I did, but you also have to take the oil pump off to add the CKP sensor..which is the source of my wiring problems...im not getting a good signal from it to fire my engine properly, but im using a prelude engine harness instead of an accord one...where is your map sensor plug? is it on the IM or the Throttle body? i am using a 95 h22a with 97 starter, alternator, and ps pump, as well as the 97 throttle body...but its still running obd1 with the p13 ecu and jumper harness...just wiring the ckp to the jdm dizzy if messin me up

Originally posted by bigjussin@Feb 19 2004, 11:14 AM
if you convert the motor to obd2 you have to add the newer accessories..like I did, but you also have to take the oil pump off to add the CKP sensor..which is the source of my wiring problems...im not getting a good signal from it to fire my engine properly, but im using a prelude engine harness instead of an accord one...where is your map sensor plug? is it on the IM or the Throttle body? i am using a 95 h22a with 97 starter, alternator, and ps pump, as well as the 97 throttle body...but its still running obd1 with the p13 ecu and jumper harness...just wiring the ckp to the jdm dizzy if messin me up

"where is your map sensor plug? is it on the IM or the Throttle body? i am using a 95 h22a with 97 starter, alternator, and ps pump, as well as the 97 throttle body...but its still running obd1 with the p13 ecu and jumper harness..."

My Sensor for the accord is on the Throttle body, but the one that came with my JDM was mounted on the firewall. I'm using all original JDM items, except the A/C. I'm also running obd1 using a p13 ecu with the jumper harness.

Is it true the JDM h22a in Automatic is only 180 hp, and the 5 speed has nearly 200?

Originally posted by Seducer@Feb 19 2004, 05:52 PM
Is it true the JDM h22a in Automatic is only 180 hp, and the 5 speed has nearly 200?

I have heard this also. Proof of this claim hasn't been made clear yet. I do believe that the lower rpm lobes may differ slightly. I can't see any reason for using different VTEC lobes though.

Dunno,:shrug2: mine rips. If you're not happy, put in more aggressive cams.

Tab...you the man..... The fact that I was at 140, with a SOHC V-tec, I know the change be it 180 or 200, I'll be enthused....but I think I may go with better cams anyway, just to do it. Any suggestions of a brand and or model?

i sure hope the automatic motor isnt 180hp...traditionally, on non-honda cars, many automatic engines would have larger throttle bodies....its a big neon swap for club racing....but the engine that came in my swap was an auto motor, as it still had the flexplate bolted up....but i just boltep up the 5-speed and clutch and went for it..now im having serious electrical demons

Your cams are going to depend on your driving style, and purpose. If the cams are too aggressive, you may need to raise your idle and do some tuning.

However, if I buy cams, I would buy cams with a slightly more aggressive bottom end, and moderately aggressive VTEC lobes. Once you're in VTEC, the lower lobes won't matter. This means you could still get decent mileage and take a bitch to Burger King drive thru in comfort. Tuning and Cam Gears are still suggested.

H22A is a good engine. Compared to the F22, off the line is not much different. It's a little quicker. When VTEC kicks, and you grab second gear, it keeps pulling hard. Then third, it keeps pulling hard. The Freeway acceleration is dramatically better IMHO.

Freeway acceleration is dramatically better

hell yeah it is. i can floor it in 5th gear and it still accelerates fast enough

my brother was in our 2000 civic si sedan and he downshifted to 3rd while i floored it in 5th and it was just way to sad that i still wasted him. :D

Back