96 Accord ECU chipping

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mekal

Hey guys im peiceing together my first turbo build. i am plaining to run 6-8 psi (10) occasionaly on a stock f22b1. My question is where can i send my ecu to get it chipped for my modifications??? ive already been to a website called Enocron tuning, which seems to be a pretty big tuning website for obo and ob1 setups, but i have a ob2 96 honda accord ex. I searched around and couldnt find anywhere to send off my ecu for chipping. Also what recomendations do you guys have for my Engine management??? im kind of low on cash lol (jus like everyone else) so im looking for an affordable way to tune my turbo setup. here is my setup:
t3/t4 turbo .57 trim, log style manifold
(38mm wastegate i beleive) ill have to check and see if the turbo im buying has it on there lol
Dsm 450cc blue tops(from what ive read these will work), and im not so sure on fuel setup. i know i dont need a fuel pump... I was thinking just a FPR, some bigger injectors, and a wideband for tuning?
FMIC along with all piping, bov, etc....
so can you guys give me some recomendations as to what to use for engine management??? thanks mekal

If you don't have the money, give up now while you are ahead.

The first thing you need is a search button. Second you will need at least $2000. Then you need a P28 ECU and an OBD2 to 1 conversion harness. Then you need an Ostrich, eCtune, datalogging harwdare and a Innovate LC-1. Get all that working BEFORE installing bigger injectors and turbo. Learn how to tune on your stock setup.You definitely do not need a FPR.

Not sure why you think you wont need a fuel pump.

And Chris' site is Xenocron not Enocron

From what ive seen from other peoples setups they didnt use a pump. I know there is a cheaper way to tune your car if your going to be running low boost.. ob2 to ob1 harness why cant i just use the ecu thats in the car right now and get it chipped? Im new to this whole chipping/tuning thing so youll have to excuse me. I searched this topic on here, honda-tech, superhonda, and googled it and could find crap.

Last edited:
First off, I am not trying to flame you. Just trying to help. Although I am a bit of a smartass at times.

why cant i just use the ecu thats in the car right now and get it chipped?

You will have to ask the engineers at Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan why they used processors that embed the EEPROM into the processor. Probably a cost-down solution. Even if your car was OBD1 you could not chip it because the accords and preludes were developed by a different group than the integra / civic and we as a DIY community have not reverse engineered the codebase yet.

From what ive seen from other peoples setups they didnt use a pump.
Some people don't mention the walbro 255 because it is not part of the bells and whistles. It is only $100, not worth not having that assurance that you won't run out of fuel on the top end. I'm sure there are some out there that don't upgrade it, but it's not worth the risk. I just thought it was funny that you know absolutely nothing about turboing an Accord, but you say that you know you don't need a pump... then you mention wasting the same amount that a pump would cost on a FPR which if you have the proper size injectors, you surely don't need.

Sure you could get an AFCII along with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and blow up your motor like most people who try to use them. I'm sure that stock fuel pump can handle 120psi.

Im new to this whole chipping/tuning thing so youll have to excuse me. I searched this topic on here, honda-tech, superhonda, and googled it and could find crap.

try searching on pgmfi.org you may some answers there.

And please tell my your Accord is not an automatic sedan! :imgone:

So you say i know nothing about turboing a accord... Well i know what parts you need to do it, ya ive never done it, this will be my first time. That is why im posting. Im trying to find out what i need to do, and i appricate you giving me info. Im not retarted, i would have a wideband to see if my engine is getting starved of fuel or not. Ya i probably will get a fuel pump maybe not a 255 unless i find one for a good deal. Im turboing my car for the first time. Of course im going to mess things up, thats how you learn. And i would not be spending this kind of time or cash if i was doing this on a automatic. i got a 96 accord ex coupe, 5 spd.

Last edited:
Ya i talked to one of my buddys and he said the same thing as you. (i would have to get an ob2 to ob1 conversion harness and a p28 ecu. So that conversion harness goes from my engine harness to my ecu(p28)? And then i can get the P28 chiped to my mods?

Sorry, that was the smartass in me.

Yes, with a conversion harness and a P28 you can get Crome and make a basemap. (assuming you have a Burn1 or an Ostrich). I think if you get your ECU from Xenocron, he ships it with a couple of basemaps.

I say again: get the hardware you need to be able to tune yourself and learn on the stock setup. Once it is tuned again to stock, scaling injectors and setting boost columns will be so much easier and quicker. It will take a lot of reading to learn enough to do it yourself.

ok i ive got a lot of reading to do, but thanks for the info. Im definitly going to take your advise and get used to tuning it first before i throw mods on there. So burn1 or Ostrich??? are those programs on the computer?? And what are basemaps(is it like a setup where your car is running good)?? Sorry bout all the questions. with your help and a lot of searching i believe i can do this lol.

this is where the search comes in. Last freebie: Burn1 is a chip burner. Ostrich is an emulator used to do real time updates from a laptop to the ECU. A basemap is a ECU codebase that should allow the car to run (presumably enough to get to a tuner / dyno or to start tuning yourself) not necessarily "good".

Back