96 Accord Ex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IDMaxGuy

Just got a 96 Accord EX 5-speed 4 door any suggestions on what I should do, I want it quick, but still looking nice. Its got the SOHC V-TEC so... what are my options with the motor??

If you want it quick, either turbo the engine you have after building it, swap it with a non-VTEC H-series engine and then turbo it, or swap in an H22 and keep it N/A.

How much are you looking to spend?

One of my freinds has an H23 Non V-TEC in his prelude he said he would sell me, he wants to switch to the V-TEC so I was thinking about that but I still dont have a price. What would be a good price for motor and tranny from his car, or could i just use the stock tranny from my car?

What year car is his engine coming out of? If it's 92-95, you're going to have some wiring issues since they're different OBD classifications.

Anyway, you CAN use your tranny, but I wouldn't recommend it. F-series trannies are geared too long, and they're pretty weak.

As for a price....how many miles are on it? You'll need to get the ECU from him as well.

I think its either a 95 or right around there, as for miles, i dunno ill have to wait till this weekend and hope he is out again. If not what would involve building the SOHC up, rod pistons cam that sort of thing? And the ECU since this is going from vtec to non-vtec will that be a hassle when we swap?

If it's OBD1, you'll either have to rewire it, or buy a conversion harness.

If you wanted to turbo the SOHC, you could do it on stock internals up to around 4-6 psi with a good engine management system. Anything more, you're looking at replacing the bottom end, along with most of the top end and maybe some headwork as well.

Going from VTEC to non-VTEC isn't a hassle at all. :)

Hehe sweet then, I think swaping would be easier than rebuilding, plus i wanted to run a little more boost than that, but the turbo wont be comig for a while $$$ issues, ya know. so ill prob just build the sohc up for now with some bolt ons. until i can gather enough resources to buy the h23. even with the sohc its still a pretty quick car so.. maybe bolts ons will give me the stuf i need, and as for turbo, hehe sounds odd but the only reason i want a turbo basically is that i love the sound of a $300 HKS blow off valve that my freind has in his eclipse.

Bolt-ons on an F22 won't do it for you, believe me, I used to be there. If you really want to spend money on your car, upgrade the suspension and brakes, or the clutch (it's reusable in an H). Save your cash for the turbo and/or swap down the line. Most of the bolt-ons won't work for the H-series engine.

Ya, Ill do that so will a Cold Air Intake Still bolt on to an H23 if i buy it for the F series motor. I need to do some things to it while i wait, i also planned on running 2 and a quarter inch exhaust all the way back, is that about right for a forced induction car or should it be bigger smaller etc.... i can get that done too before the swap. thanx for all ur help,

I'd go AT LEAST 2.5" for the exhaust for forced induction, if not 3".

Intakes are interchangeable for F and H series engines in Accords.

Hey I talked to the guy tonight, its a 92 Prelude Si H23 Non-Vtec it has 140k on the motor. How much should I offer him?????? Keep in mind I plan on rebuilding it for turbo.

sup i jus wanna get in this cuz im bout to get a 94-95 accord soon and i'll need some help on it also, but iono wuh im gonna get a stik or auto, but either way its the same rite? yea stik would be better, or make me happier but its up to mah parent.............

get a stick, if u got an auto and wanted to change to a manual, its more complicated than just putting a trany on, u got your clutch cable, clutch pedal etc etc.... just try and get a 5 speed so u alreay have all that setup and all u gotta do is upgrade your existing tranny.

Back