96 Accord losing its steam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lane

I have a 1996 Accord that seems to no longer reach the top speeds it could when I got it in 2003.

I don't race and I haven't made any performance enhancements to the car since I got it. Yet if I push that pedal to the floor in 5th gear I used to get up to 117 - 118 mph but now it tops out at 113 - 114mph.

Its a 4dr Honda Accord LX 5spd with 140,000 on it, I got the car secondhand with 78k on it in 2003.

My buddy thought maybe my spark plugs are dirty but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has an idea. I sure wouldn't mind throwing some change at this car to help it regain its glory speeds or even to bring it above those speeds. If anyone has any suggestions for enhancements that would increase the top speed please feel free to throw them my way.

If you couldn't tell by now I have very little knowledge about cars but 95% of my buddies mess with this stuff on the weekends.

have you done any maintenance to it? cars need constant maintenance you know.

also, just because your car doesnt accelerate to what it used to doesnt mean there is something wrong with it. wind resistance could have played a roll in this.

Back