96 auto h22a setup in my accord runs sluggish

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Seducer

I have a 96 Accord, that I had an engine swap performed on. I still have the original ECU as well as the one that came with it. She is extremely sluggish in first gear, like I'm accelerating underwater. Once I get to 4500 RPMS, she takes off like a rocket. Does this sound like a tuning issue? I also learned that the knock sensor is missing from the swapped engine, which is why my check engine light has always been on. Could a sensor like this create such a sluggish feel? Could a good tune job eliminate this?

Lastly, anyone know any good swap shops in either VA or MD? Actually any within' 300 miles would be good... so that's about from New York to NC....

If you have any codes thrown up that could be why its running slow, in limp mode. The knock sensor is pretty vital and needs to be hooked up, that should take care of your problem most likely. Reset the ecu after you install one.

So this limp mode. Would it just do that in first gear, up to 4500 rpms? I will definately get a knock sensor off of eBay. I heard about limp mode, but thought it would hinder the engine throughout the full powerband...not just the first 4.5k
:(

In Limp mode you shouldnt be able to rev as high, but yeah it would be power loss throughout the entire powerband. Either way any check engine light will cause you to lose power, I think. By what you say you really need to get it tuned, as well. I remember my car ran terrible for awhile before I tuned it, same kinda thing once it got up high it was fine but it stumbled like crazy down low.

Thanks to all

That's what's up guys. I appreciate that. I'm on eBay now bidding on a knock sensor, and once I get that, I'll install it, and have the car tuned. Thanks again :)

Forgot to say, I'll post results and pics after that....

I was just wondering if there were any mods to the h22. Like cams or whatever. Because with the right ecu the car should run great with factory everything. Tuning may not be worth the money if you havent done much for mods.

Back