96 B18c5 in a 96 EK9 Hatch Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys. So I have been doing a lot of reading up and am excited to write my first post. I will try to think of everything I am curious about. Positive suggestions are welcomed. THNX!

1996 Civic EK9 Hatch so OBD2(A?)
want to swap 96 ITR B18C5 in.

OK so the whole 96 or 98 thing..

98 B18C5 has 10 horses more
98 has Different Final Drive (better or not though)
does 96 have a knock sensor?
96 is cheaper and still has lsd

If I swap a 96 B18C5 I won't have to changles axles - correct?
The OBD2 should be plug and play no?
Do I have to get a USDM ecu for SMOG in CALI or no? (no USDM 96..)
I just need the 99-00 Si rear mount. yes? or no?
Do I have to get a new throttle cable or no?
Will the 96 ITR B18c5 headers bolt up to cat/etc?

I know this is a lot of questions but I have been trying to learn before I ask. Thanks! :rolleyes:

yes its a plug and play you will need si 99-00 axles and rear mount.use your stock trottle cable

nice thanks. so is it because the wheel bearings are a different size that you need si axles? also, anyone know about the exhaust lining up?

well what do you mean will the cat line up if you have a hatch your cat come made onto the exahust manifold and also a b sereis camre in the 6 gen chassi so that whay you need si axles the d series is just to long on one side

thats refuring to a coupe ex modle all lx/dx the cat is made onto the maiafold it will be very close thoe if i had to guess i would say it would line up

cool good to know thanx. last thing, if I understand correctly, would the swap be running with no cat since the cat on the dx is on the exhaust manifold? or is that the last thing at the bottom of the downpipe usually included with a full swap?

the chances of you passing smog are slim to none in CA, unless you BAR that shit.. which is recommended.. and i dont even know if its possible to BAR a 96 ITR motor because of the ecu.. if you're worried about it, find your nearest State Ref BAR center and go have a chat with them.. they will tell you whether or not you can, and they'll tell you what you need so you can have it done the first time..

yeah exactly I want it done right the first time by doing the research now.. do you guys think that some refs are easier to deal with than others? will they even tell you how to get bar'd if they know you are swapping?

just ask them what you would need to do to put that motor in that car.. tell them exactly what you want to put in.... i'm sure its possible.. if he says you cant.. just do a GSR swap

Back