96 Civ CX swap B18 GSR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesB

Hey All,
I've owned my 95 EX for 4 years now and while it's been a fun car it's come time for a new one. While I could go out and pickup an rsx or something else new I don't know if I'm done modifying, so I'm looking at takign my wife's 96 CX and placing a B18 GSR in it. I've read everywhere that it should just be a straight bolt in but that I need to watch out for OBDI to ODBII conversion, a 96 CX is OBDII right? What type of problems should I watch out for, can you provide any tips? Is this whole process simple enough for me to accomplish in my garage (I've worked on cars before but I'm no mechanic). I'm looking at ARDPerfomance.com for the engine:
B18C (1.8 DOHC V-TEC) GSR
1.8 DOHC 16V VTEC 178HP Honda motor. Direct from Japan. Includes engine, transmission and ECU. Price includes truck freight .Direct bolt in for 94-01 Integra and 92-00 Civic. OBDI and OBDII available. Truck freight usually runs $250 within the US.
Engine, Auto Trans, ECU, Harness, Axles, Shift LInkage, and Mounts for $2695.95

If I were to pick this up what else would I need to complete the swap? anything missing from this package?

Finally what's involved in adding power steering to a cx? I could live without it but if I am swapping the engine I couldn't emagine the power steering would be anymore difficult.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

a 96 CX is OBDII right?

yeah 96 is obd2 so get a 96+ swap if you wanna stay street legal.

If I were to pick this up what else would I need to complete the swap? anything missing from this package?

first off you're going to need a rear tranny bracket (looks like a T) and
a drivers side mount from a 99-00 civ si (bolts to the engine under the
cam gears) all the additional mounts that come with the engine can be
used, unless you wanna have ac then you need an ac bracket and ac
belt from a 96-97 del sol VTEC. re-use all your civic rubber mounts
they'll fit fine. you'll also need a lower radiator hose from a 96-97 del
sol VTEC, and an upper radiator hose from a 94+ integra or 99-00 si
(i've heard the si hoses fits better). Also you'll need a new cat and
should upgrade the rest of the exhaust system.

as far as wiring goes on a cx iam not sure but it seems a lot of people
go with a 96+ ex wiring harness which makes it easier.

other things to figure into the overall price...
timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, alt belt, fluids, and misc such
as broken sensors, dented oil pan...etc...always good to put a little
cash aside for the unknown

i've never done business w/ard before...but most people on this
site speak highly of hmo
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/

but do a little searching theres alot on this swap
on this site and online, check these out for starters....
http://www.phear7imports.net/subs/btroop/trey/6gen/
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b18cswap/swap.php
(cspeed is for an eg but it will give ya a good idea)

hope this helps - at least i gave ya a free bump

:werd: hmotorsonline is the best. if you use the harness that came with the motor and the ecu that came with the harness you shouldn't have to worry about trying to source a good vtec wiring harness.

if you want to add power steering you will obviously need a power steering rack and pump, and all the hoses that go with it.

Great guys, thanks for the info, another couple questions - I can see the benefit of doing a b18 swap versus a b16 swap but my question is what is the weight difference between the two engines? I'm looking to autocorss the car once the modifications get underway so the balance of the car is more important then straight line speed and I just don't want to upset the balance to much. Any ideas or thoughts? The last question would be about adding Anti-lock breakes to the setup, how diificult would that be? Is it even possible or does it involve to much electric work to even worry about it?

Thanks

unless you can get a complete abs system from a donor car, i don't think it would be worth the time or effort. you would need the iindividual abs sensors from each wheel, the abs proprtioning valve, the abs brake lines, the abs computer and all the wiring to connect the abs system together, and i am sure numerous other stuff i forgot.

as far as motor weight differences, i think its like less than 30 lbs. because the only big diffferences would be slightly longer rods, slightly longer stroke on the crank, and a slightly taller deck height. thats it. something to think about would be a rear disc brake conversion. you would nead the rear lower control arms and the rear discs from a gsr, type-r, ls or an ex, and the proprtioning valve and parking brake cables from one of them also, but the rear disc brake swap is very worth while.

Yeah, the brake swap is on the todo list - I'm hoping to save and get the swap done then I'll just put what would have been my car payment in to mods since the cx is all paid for. Thanks for the info

Back