96 civic coupe wit a Ls Vtec swap..fuse keep popping???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Egturbohatch

okay were to start.. im here for my friends car, he has a 96 civic wit a LsVtec it 1 day just died on him on the highway.. so he towed it to his crib, i checked for spark, fuel, etc...find out that the fuse under the hood was blown...it says PGM-FI Main relay, its a 15a small fuse, its locate under the hood passenger side shock tower black box, under the cover its the first fuse from the left if u standing in front of the car. so we replaced it nd try to start it, it pops again, it pops right after i turn the key to on. the only thing i can think of is a short somewhere from that fuse, but im not a wire guy nd dont kno how to use a multimeter, can somebody help me nd guide me to fix this problem. wait a minute at 1 point the car did start up nd drive down the street nd back but after 5 min it pops again, nd now it keep popping wen i turn the key to on, we did bought the 10 pack of 15a fuses nd it all popped, still got 2 more ....sorry for this mess, im not to good on writing as u can see..haha please dont just tell me things but help me wit it maybe step by step would be nice, i do have good mechanic skills but just never tackle on a electric problem b4

Last edited:
okay were to start.. im here for my friends car, he has a 96 civic wit a LsVtec it 1 day just died on him on the highway.. so he towed it to his crib, i checked for spark, fuel, etc...find out that the fuse under the hood was blown...it says PGM-FI Main relay, its a 15a small fuse, its locate under the hood passenger side shock tower black box, under the cover its the first fuse from the left if u standing in front of the car. so we replaced it nd try to start it, it pops again, it pops right after i turn the key to on. the only thing i can think of is a short somewhere from that fuse, but im not a wire guy nd dont kno how to use a multimeter, can somebody help me nd guide me to fix this problem. wait a minute at 1 point the car did start up nd drive down the street nd back but after 5 min it pops again, nd now it keep popping wen i turn the key to on, we did bought the 10 pack of 15a fuses nd it all popped, still got 2 more ....sorry for this mess, im not to good on writing as u can see..haha please dont just tell me things but help me wit it maybe step by step would be nice, i do have good mechanic skills but just never tackle on a electric problem b4

It sucks when your almost out of tokens, I mean fuses .. hahahaha:D

Clearly there is a short some where. Check all your wires that lead to the main relay. It should not be all that difficult to see excessive wear on a loom, or a pinched wire that is exposed. Look for high wear areas and scuffed worn down paint exposing bare metal. Typically caused by inexperienced installers of aftermarket parts or stereo equipment. :ph34r:

--Post some pix

hahaha thanx... so were should i start lookin at, under da fuse box???...would a stereo deck install do anything wit that fuse being popped??

its a 96 civic coupe would the main relay be under the passenger side or driver side dash?, im getting mix answers from online searching....and is there a different in fuel pump relay and main relay?

its a 96 civic coupe would the main relay be under the passenger side or driver side dash?, im getting mix answers from online searching....and is there a different in fuel pump relay and main relay?

Main relay is the fuel pump relay, yes.

The main relay controls fuel and spark as well as ground to the ECU.
Hence, "main" . ;)

Thanx for da info, i chekked nd pulled the main relay out, im planning on gettin a new 1, how much this would cost to get a new main relay. Do u guyz think from replacing the main relay would stop the 15a fuse from popping? Since we chekked everything else,...... Do anybody ever have this problem? The 15a small fuse keep poppin after turning the key to on. Its sux i look out the crib nd see that car sittin there, hope we can get that monster bakk on the road

Just scream n cry and hope that a caring soul will lift you out of "da crib" .

Its highly doubtful the main relay is defective.

Talk to whoever laid their bear claws on the electrical system of that civic. :huh:

Back