96 Civic Ex Sohc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thirddensity

Hello. Just bought a '96 Civic EX SOHC with an automatic transmission. Man, this car is sloooow! What, if anything, can I do to this? I have no clue and am in my infant stages of import engines, so please, be gentle.

Well, you can always do intake, header, and exhaust. An automatic is a crappy platform to work with on a Honda. A decent camshaft is always good for a little more hp.

Save money for a motor swap. :D That probably sounds like a lot, but after putting a bunch of money into other parts (intake, exhaust, headers, altezzas :D ) you could already be halfway to a swap. The B16a swap would be the most common. That’s if you REALLY want to keep the car you have. You would also have to swap the auto tranny for the manual. I would buy another car with manual tranny. (maybe 92-95 civic hatchback) cause they are relatively cheap and a popular candidate for swaps. You will be much happier in the long run.

hope that helps :D

dude, the problem is auto, they have crappy ass stock cams, and horrible gearing. if u know anything, try to ditch the auto and get a standerd tranny, but since u say u dont know anything, that might b a bad idea. as he said. get a intake header exhaust, a cam. if u want more speed u will have to get forced induction. a low PSi turbo could be found for 1000-2000 and would help alot to get the beast moving. Or sell it and buy a EF, older EG 5 speed and do an engine swap with the $$ u save.

On a more positive note you can score an auto tranny B16,LS or (I believe) GSR and not have to go through the ordeal of swapping the auto to a manual.Will you be using the full potenial of the engine,no,but will it kick the shit out of what you have now,yes.Or you can keep the powerplant that's in there,and like AFI said upgrade the cam,get a torque converter for your tranny and throw some bolt ons,on it.

Back