96 Civic NOT starting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92cb7

Ok, so heres the break-down.

My 96 Civic LX has an OBD-1 engine (previous owner swapped). I bought this car for $400, as it had numerous problems. I've had this car for almost 2 years now without any serious problems other than a trans. rebuild due to abuse.

This morning was probably the coldest its been since summer ended. And for the first time since I bought this Civic, it won't start. It cranks and sometimes feels as though it wants to start, but simply won't. :(

I started off easy, listening for the fuel pump to prime, then checking the oil. Then I pulled off the air filter to see if that was clogged. I tried starting the car lightly pressing the gas pedal. But all to no avail. I still want to check for spark but I need to get my wife to help me when she gets home.

One more thing. This car has had its check engine light on since I 1st got it. I never bothered to pull the code before since everything seemed fine. I pulled it this morning and got 41-> Oxygen Sensor Heater. Does anyone know exactly what that is? Is it what it sounds like? :confused:

why wouldn't you check the code when you first bought the car?

regardless, swap out the o2 sensor and you should be fine. If it still doesn't start, try to give it a jump with some cables, the battery could be dead and the cold affects the starting power.

Update:

Ive tried jumping it, and it makes no difference. I do think im starting to wear out the starter though.

I checked for spark today and theres nothing. My next step is to take the dizzy apart, however the cap screws/bolts aren't cooperating, so I'm having a friend with more tools come over tomorow. Anyone have any other ideas? Im going to replace the O2 as soon as I can.

if its your dizzy, you'll be throwing more codes than a o2 sensor. try to crank it, then when it fails pull the code by jumping the 2pin.

Update and Resolution:

I ended up pulling the dizzy cap off. After some testing, I discovered the ignition coil was bad and replaced it. Then I had to replace my starter from all the cranking I was doing trying to start the car in the 1st place. The 1st startup was tough (because of the absence of an O2 sensor and base maps), but once it got going, everything was fine and has been since then. Easy starting every time.

Back