1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 civic swap

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by dosterschill, Apr 29, 2004.

1. dosterschill

dosterschill Member

i recently purchased a slightly modded-out '96 Civic DX with a substantial amount of miles (160,000) from a friend of mine. This summer my mom has alotted me an engine for my big 18th birthday to slap in my daily driven Civic. So, gentlemen, my question is this: i have deeply researched the b20 and ls engines and their frankenstein cousins (the b20/vtec and ls/vtec), the h22 engines, and the b18 engines; which of these should i swap bearing in mind i have access to highly qualified professionals, a moderate sum of cash, and a daily driven car? thank you for all consideration of my query.

derek

2. swanny

swanny Senior Member

I would personally stay away from the hybrids for a daily driver, they tend to be unreliable. I would suggest either the B18 which has a TON of aftermarket support for if you wanted to do future upgrades OR the heavier, torqueier(sp?) H22.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

i wouldnt say they are inherently unreliable
    they are as reliable as you build them to be
    the unreliable ones are the ones that are just thrown together

but yes i would recomend just getting a B18C for most people

4. dosterschill

dosterschill Member

thanks fellas. i think with my limited expertise i would have to say xyswany is right for me, too much of a newbie. on the b18c though, what kind of prices are we looking at here? thanks

derek

5. dosterschill

dosterschill Member

and also: what about like a b20 or b18b with the factory heads and simply turbocharged? feasible? practical? thanks again

derek

6. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

B18C1 (GSR engine) go for around $3000 for the complete swap

a turbo'd B18B or B20 can be VERY fast

depends what you want out of the car really .... what are your goals performance wise??

7. dosterschill

dosterschill Member

id like to run low 13.s eventually; however, i plan on keeping this car in at least a part-time driving capacity through college while still maintaining good driveability. thanks again.

derek

8. dosterschill

dosterschill Member

id like to run low 13.s eventually; however, i plan on keeping this car in at least a part-time driving capacity through college while still maintaining good driveability. i also plan on upgrading my suspension, decreasing weight, and just turning it into a fun car to drive. thanks again.

derek

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted