96 civic swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i recently purchased a slightly modded-out '96 Civic DX with a substantial amount of miles (160,000) from a friend of mine. This summer my mom has alotted me an engine for my big 18th birthday to slap in my daily driven Civic. So, gentlemen, my question is this: i have deeply researched the b20 and ls engines and their frankenstein cousins (the b20/vtec and ls/vtec), the h22 engines, and the b18 engines; which of these should i swap bearing in mind i have access to highly qualified professionals, a moderate sum of cash, and a daily driven car? thank you for all consideration of my query.

derek

I would personally stay away from the hybrids for a daily driver, they tend to be unreliable. I would suggest either the B18 which has a TON of aftermarket support for if you wanted to do future upgrades OR the heavier, torqueier(sp?) H22.

i wouldnt say they are inherently unreliable
they are as reliable as you build them to be
the unreliable ones are the ones that are just thrown together

but yes i would recomend just getting a B18C for most people

thanks fellas. i think with my limited expertise i would have to say xyswany is right for me, too much of a newbie. on the b18c though, what kind of prices are we looking at here? thanks

derek

and also: what about like a b20 or b18b with the factory heads and simply turbocharged? feasible? practical? thanks again

derek

B18C1 (GSR engine) go for around $3000 for the complete swap

a turbo'd B18B or B20 can be VERY fast

depends what you want out of the car really .... what are your goals performance wise??

id like to run low 13.s eventually; however, i plan on keeping this car in at least a part-time driving capacity through college while still maintaining good driveability. thanks again.

derek

id like to run low 13.s eventually; however, i plan on keeping this car in at least a part-time driving capacity through college while still maintaining good driveability. i also plan on upgrading my suspension, decreasing weight, and just turning it into a fun car to drive. thanks again.

derek

Back