96 civic swapped some questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

poetical

alright i have been jumping around civic forums...cant really find anything to help me out...I have a 96 civic originally a d16y7 or 8 car with vtec ..... long story short...someone swapped in a d16z6 and its running on whatever ecu was stock odb2...cars got the check engine light and all....runs fine....but i have a p28 ecu and the car has some mods and soon more and i would like to get it tuned...i tried however hooking up the p28 and the car will not start with it...why would the d16z6 with the jumper not make the car run?

Wow dude. you posted at 308 a.m. This issue must kept you up all night. haha

If I were to take a stab at it, the z6 is running obd2 components.
A p28 is an obd1 ecu.

You CEL's are probably CKF & Knock since a z6 block does not support.

Last edited:
obd2 components are compatible with obd1 computers. obd0 is not compatible with obd1 or 2.
i agree about the cel causes though, crank fluctuation and knock sensor.

I'll take a guess and say you might have a bad ecu.

All OBD components are compatible for the most part with the use of jumpers/resistors.

A faulty ecu is always a possibility, along with a miswired jumper.
I would try and confirm continuity wire leads from the ecu to the diz, or try another known good p28.

Wow dude. you posted at 308 a.m. This issue must kept you up all night. haha

If I were to take a stab at it, the z6 is running obd2 components.
A p28 is an obd1 ecu.

You CEL's are probably CKF & Knock since a z6 block does not support.

yeah lol im just a night owl...always playing around on the computer late nights.....the CEL im not so much worried about could care less if its on aslong as the cars performing.....im more wondering about the p28...dont know anybody who has one i dont think..

All OBD components are compatible for the most part with the use of jumpers/resistors.

A faulty ecu is always a possibility, along with a miswired jumper.
I would try and confirm continuity wire leads from the ecu to the diz, or try another known good p28.

ive been researching a bit... but the odb0 diz wouldnt run with th eodb2 ecu which means its probably got the odb2 diz on it which wont work the my p28 right?

ive been researching a bit... but the odb0 diz wouldnt run with th eodb2 ecu which means its probably got the odb2 diz on it which wont work the my p28 right?

The obd2 dist. will work with the obd1 ecu. As was said above incompatibilities arise when you mix obd0 with obd1/2 components. injectors are an exception though. I currently have a jumper and p28 running a z6 in my 96 civic and i have no codes. If it won't run in your car, my thought process leads me to believe the ecu is no good. especially since it will run with an obd2 ecu. Only other reason i can think of would be the jumper itself doesn't have some wires going to the right spots.

Back