96 CX swapped, what exhaust components?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesB

Hey all,
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with the swap into our 96 CX - I haven't made my mind up on the B16 or B18 yet but if I did do a swap with either one what exhaust pieces would I use?

B16:
99+ SI Headers
Catalitic Converter (does it matter?)
96 HB Catback

B18:
94+ GSR Headers
Catalitic Converter (does it matter?)
96 HB Catback

And which ones would you recommend, performance is key I'll be on a budget but I'd rather have the better setup and have to save for another month

like everything else it depends on what you want for a final setup allmotor/turbo
and what your personal preferences are...

if you dont wanna spend alot at first just stick with the stock header and pick up an aftermarket cat like a carsound cat (yes a cat does matter if you wanna stay smog legal, plus you need to run your 2nd o2 sensor) and a cat back system which would have to be chopped alittle to accomodate the cat and new header position. for an exhaust i would suggest apexi ws or rs*r, everyone has an opinion on exhausts but, i perfer these mostly for the tone and quality.

another option would be a jdm itr header which would fit either of the engines you decide to go with.

if you wanna go turbo then go with a larger diameter exhaust for now until you get you turbo setup, like a thermal.

it all depends on your goals for the car, and even then the options are pretty numerous.

Thanks for the input - it will remain allmotor, so if I understand you correctly either setup (b18 or b16) will have longer headers and cat so I will need to custom cut the cat back and make up for the additional piping in that section. I like the apex-i exhausts as well as was thinking of going with a GT manifold headers and ws series catback so I wouldn't wake all my neighbors up when I left in the morning.

One more question is if I do the swap will the new axles force me to purchase wheels immediatly? or will I be able to put the stock 13s back on it? not like this will be the final setup for the car but I think it could be fun to have a stock looking cx that could out run a GSR! Ha, I could have some fun.

Thanks

yeah thats right the header collector for either engine will be in a different position than the stock set up so your gonna have to cut a few inches off the exhaust pipping. you buy a header to fit your engine and an exhaust to fit your car trim. no, new axles wont effect your wheel selection if you wanna run the stock 13's that will work fine.

These are what I have bolted on my 96 cx hb and decide for yourself. But to answer your guestion regarding the exhaust.....here is what I have.

JDM 98 B18C with 4-2-1 DC header, OBX high flow cat. converter, and Tsudo complete catback exhaust for 92-95 civic hb. The tip of the exhaust stick out a bit and that's normal for all tsudo exhaust. if you dont like the tip of the exhaust stick out a bit too far, buy a bumper kit and you will look perfect. howevere, if you buy the right exhaust, a complete catback exhaust for 96-98 civic hb unlike my mistake, I think you will be ok. Oh, one more thing, I have my own welder and the OBX cat have to be cut about 2 inches from the flange then weld the flange back on so that you still have all the holes that bolt right to the header and the catback exhaust.

Back