96 Ex engine in a 95 EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

94DC2

As the title states I'm going to be doing this swap this weekend since a pothole took out my oil pan and ruined my engine. Anyway I bought a low mileage engine out of a 96 EX coupe and I was curious as to know if I can still run my p28 ecu with this engine. A few people have told me that I would have to change my dizzy and fuel rail for this swap to work. Along with the alternator. Now that seems fairly reasonable. Only thing is that I sold my dizzy to a friend when his had crapped. Can I rewire the obd2 one to work. I have read that you can, just curious as to whether or not the time is worth it. Also are the timing belt and water pump the same? Just asking because I had replaced them literally 2 days before the pothole incident and if I could reuse them then I will.I'm confident in doing this swap just wanting to make sure I have everything I need prior to the dive. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Swap over the ENTIRE Intake Manifold onto the D16Y8 head (injectors and all) and get a new IM gasket. The Distributor, Alternator and engine harness should come off your old motor. If this is done....the original ECU will work fine.

EDIT: not sure on the timing belt.....search google and type hondaswap.com at the end of the search words.

And I would find another distributor......or get yours back. Not saying you cannot splice the OBD2 one in but i do not know how (they make jumper harness for it....Rywire I believe)

Last edited:
the z6 dizzy will not bolt to a y8 head.. rywire and ebay have adapters for like 30 bucks.
if you can, use the y8 manifold, it flows better than the z6 you just need to find a way to mount your iat sensor to it. you just need to swap injectors, alternator, and possibly power steering pump.

Here's what i would do if you havent figured it out yet.

Use the z6 intake manifold, all your sensors should plug right in.
Use the y8 dizzy and buy a jumper wire from obd2 to obd1.
Use your z6 bracket for a/c, p/s, and your set.

Easy swap.

the z6 dizzy will not bolt to a y8 head.. rywire and ebay have adapters for like 30 bucks.
if you can, use the y8 manifold, it flows better than the z6 you just need to find a way to mount your iat sensor to it. you just need to swap injectors, alternator, and possibly power steering pump.

Z6 diz's do fit on y8 heads. With the top bolt only but it works:cool:. Been there done that.

Back