1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 Ex engine in a 95 EX

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by 94DC2, Aug 5, 2011.

1. 94DC2

94DC2 New Member

As the title states I'm going to be doing this swap this weekend since a pothole took out my oil pan and ruined my engine. Anyway I bought a low mileage engine out of a 96 EX coupe and I was curious as to know if I can still run my p28 ecu with this engine. A few people have told me that I would have to change my dizzy and fuel rail for this swap to work. Along with the alternator. Now that seems fairly reasonable. Only thing is that I sold my dizzy to a friend when his had crapped. Can I rewire the obd2 one to work. I have read that you can, just curious as to whether or not the time is worth it. Also are the timing belt and water pump the same? Just asking because I had replaced them literally 2 days before the pothole incident and if I could reuse them then I will.I'm confident in doing this swap just wanting to make sure I have everything I need prior to the dive. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

2. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Swap over the ENTIRE Intake Manifold onto the D16Y8 head (injectors and all) and get a new IM gasket. The Distributor, Alternator and engine harness should come off your old motor. If this is done....the original ECU will work fine.

EDIT: not sure on the timing belt.....search google and type hondaswap.com at the end of the search words.

And I would find another distributor......or get yours back. Not saying you cannot splice the OBD2 one in but i do not know how (they make jumper harness for it....Rywire I believe)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  3. josh_crewdson@y

josh_crewdson@y New Member

the z6 dizzy will not bolt to a y8 head.. rywire and ebay have adapters for like 30 bucks.
    if you can, use the y8 manifold, it flows better than the z6 you just need to find a way to mount your iat sensor to it. you just need to swap injectors, alternator, and possibly power steering pump.

1 person likes this.
  4. josh_crewdson@y

timing belt and water pump should be the same.

5. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Didn't know the dizzy wont match.

6. josh_crewdson@y

z6 dizzy has the bastardized bolt pattern.

7. Dj211855

Dj211855 New Member

Here's what i would do if you havent figured it out yet.

Use the z6 intake manifold, all your sensors should plug right in.
    Use the y8 dizzy and buy a jumper wire from obd2 to obd1.
    Use your z6 bracket for a/c, p/s, and your set.

Easy swap.

8. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

Z6 diz's do fit on y8 heads. With the top bolt only but it works:cool:. Been there done that.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted