96 EX Speedometer not working P0501

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

craiger

Hello. Speedo not working and all other indicators on cluster are working. Got a P0501 CEL code. Checked the VSS with a voltmeter off of the car with a metal object waiving in front of magnet, and on the car turning the wheel and got readings both ways. Cruise control button pressed in has the green light but no light on the dash and doesn't work while driving. Checked all underneath motor and under fuse box for bare wires or wires being worn and found nothing. I am at a loss to what this could be. HELP!

WHen my speedometer quit working, I just replaced the unit in the dash and it corrected the problem. It would intermittently start working and then stop, getting worse over time. My Cruise control still always worked no matter what though, so if it isn't working, then there's a good chance it's the VSS.

The clusters on these had that problem very widely, every time I go to a salvage yard that's one of the first things ripped out and I know a few people myself who all have had that problem. Supposedly it's the soldering job on the board for the speedo.

Another thing to consider is the ECU/TCU- I don't know which one actually receives the reading from the VSS. It could be a faulty TCU (only if it's an auto and has one).

In short, I would not write off that it could be just the speedometer. It's a time consuming PITA job to replace the speedometer but not horrible. If you do replace it, go to a parts store and get all the bulbs and replace them while you're at it. There are two bulbs for the climate controls you'd have to get at the dealer, but I strongly suggest doing ALL of them. I didn't, and now I have to basically do it all over again to get to one stupid climate control bulb. I thought just doing the cluster bulbs was good enough.

If it were me, I would replace the cluster. And I did. Granted my CEL has never been on, but I still think it's possible.

I have another 96 Accord EX Vtec Auto vehicle and I took the good working cluster/speedo out of it and put it in this Accord with the speedo problem and the same thing, no dice.. I have also checked all fuses several times, replaced VSS, replaced top solenoid on tranny, checked all wiring throughout the car. Still no speedo and now the CEL on again with P0501 code which went away when I disconnected the battery.

Back