96 Hatch Dx With Jdm B18c5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbops2

Is it hard to swap a b18c5 in to a 1996 civic hatch dx? I would use the p73 ecu from the type-r. I heard this should be a direct bolt in, but not sure. Also is there a diffrence in swap difficulty between a JDM or USDM b18c5? I would want to use the JDM one because it has more power. :D

well since both the JDM and USDM type Rs use the same ECU, you are ok there. It will be a straight forward swap, all you have to do is be sure you get the same OBD (ie 96-2000 p73, obd 2 ) Type R motor.

Ummm They should be pretty much be the same, it is a direct bolt in if you use the whole swap, ie. motor, tranny, axles, uncut harness, ecu, linkage, and if it is ob2 it shouldn't be a problem getting it into your car.

By the way, not be a dick or anything but JDM type r's only have b18c on them.

Does your intake manifold have that airbox thing on it (your throttle body faces vertical instead of horizontal)?

if so, you'll have to reverse the two outer wires on the tps and run another wire to the ecu for the IACV.

if you do have that setup, look at your IACV and it should have 3 wires running it. the c5 only has two. one of the existing wires there on your IACV can be used but the other must be ran directly to the ecu.

i just put a y8 in a del sol s (base model) and it was setup like that and thats how it has to be wired or it will not run properly.

i forgot exactly where that wire went for the IACV but i will find out tomorrow (friday) and get back to you. i do remember that it was in the A plug... A12 or A14.. i think its A14 but i'm not 100% sure. i'll know for sure tomorrow.

your going to have to add the wires for VTEC and lengthen a few others
other than that it shopuld be pretty straight forward

I know i would have to legthen some wires, but if i'm using the p73 ecu from the jdm itr then I shouldn't have to add the vtec wires should I?

if your harness doesnt have them then you have to add them
its a 96 DX so id guess that you dont have them (92 was the only year when all the civics were wired regardless of trim level)

the ECU supports it
the engine has it

now you just need to connect the two

Back