96 Integra GSR to 95 Civic DX(Auto)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay so basically what the title says. I am doing a entire pretty much everything from the bottom of the car, engine, and tires/engine/break. I posted a thread about this before but I didnt ask the specific questions i have now..

Here is what i have:

I have a BONE stock 95 Civic DX with an automatic transmission.

a TOTALED 96 Integra GSR...not really stock...manual transmission b18c1, ect ect..

I want to know if i will need ANYTHING to do this swap besides pedals? In my previous thread i asked this question and everyone said all I need is a new pedal set...a couple local people said I will need new this new that and its going to be a pain in the ass swap because it will be obd1 to obd2 or something.

PLEASE TELL ME EXACTLY EXACTLY WHAT I NEED...

Other Items from the GSR that I want to know will fit on the Civic:

Integra Skunk 2 Coilovers
Integra Full Cat back exhaust(ebay)
Stock Integra GSR control arms and brake stuff

Mainly i was curious about the coilovers and exhaust...someone told me that everything from the integra will swap to the civic I was curious if this was true?

Side notes:

I do want to do the swap ASAP just trying to figure everything out. I do eventually want to boost the car what would be the best turbo KIT for the b18c1? Links would be highly appreciated. When turboing a car do I still need a radiator or does the intercooler replace that, because my radiator got smooshed in my integra so if i dont need one then I will wait to do the swap?

Summary of questions:

1. Is everything from a 96 integra to a 95 civic dx interchangeable(engine, suspension, ect)? This question includes the skunk 2 coilovers and exhaust?

2. Other than everything engine/transmission wise, should I use anything else from the integra? Mainly referring to under the car?

3. Is there anything else I need, rather than everything from a stock integra gsr to make the swap happen?

4. Best turbo kit for a b18c1(affordable)?

5. If I were to buy an upgrade such as air intake, radiator, water pump...ect ect anything engine wise would I buy it for a 96 integra GSR or 95 Civic or does it matter?

6. Should I keep the GSR engine stock when turboing it? I really cant afford to do any engine work but i dont want to half ass it and will wait until I can if it makes a difference.

7. Random but I was curious what the best cluster for a 95 civic dx would be? someone said a JDM Si would be but i cant find one anywhere...if anyone knows a link would be appreciated.

I will admit I definitly new to this forum, and very inexperienced with swaps...I have been doing a lot of research on this swap these are just some of the main questions I have unanswered and wanted a variety of opinions and suggestions. I will be having some people locally who have done swaps before help me but this is going to be my first project.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Mark

It worries me a little that your asking if you would still need a radiator if you have a intercooler. These are two independant system for your car. Turbo or not you will need a radiator. I may be wrong, but I think a radiator out of a Del Sol would work best. It would leave room for a turbo set up and still cool properly. I would hunt for a performance one just to make sure you get enough cooling for when you do a turbo. Do all your research and take your time!

Summary of questions:

1. Is everything from a 96 integra to a 95 civic dx interchangeable(engine, suspension, ect)? This question includes the skunk 2 coilovers and exhaust?

2. Other than everything engine/transmission wise, should I use anything else from the integra? Mainly referring to under the car?

3. Is there anything else I need, rather than everything from a stock integra gsr to make the swap happen?

4. Best turbo kit for a b18c1(affordable)?

5. If I were to buy an upgrade such as air intake, radiator, water pump...ect ect anything engine wise would I buy it for a 96 integra GSR or 95 Civic or does it matter?

6. Should I keep the GSR engine stock when turboing it? I really cant afford to do any engine work but i dont want to half ass it and will wait until I can if it makes a difference.

7. Random but I was curious what the best cluster for a 95 civic dx would be? someone said a JDM Si would be but i cant find one anywhere...if anyone knows a link would be appreciated.

1.) The engine's not a complete bolt-in, but it will go in fairly easily with the correct mounts. The suspension components should swap over.

2.) What exactly are you talking about? Give examples...

3.) Not really. You can take all the parts you need from the Integra to make the motor swap and transmission conversion happen.

4.) Turbo kits are not cheap. If you're looking at the $800 - $1,000 E-Bay turbo kits, well, don't. The best thing to do is piece your own together. If you're not knowledgeable enough to do that, then go to a tuning shop and ask for help or just buy an off-the-shelf kit (Greddy, Apex'i, Edelbrock, etc.).

5.) Parts like the ones you're listing are specific to the engine rather than the car, so buy parts for the GS-R. For the intake though, you may want to look into one of AEM's swap-specific pieces. They make intakes specifically for cars with certain motor swaps.

One other thing to consider though, if you're going to go turbo soon then skip the intake. You don't use parts like intake and header with a turbo setup. Also, you might want a bigger exhaust for when you get the turbo (2.5 - 3 inches should be good).

6.) I'd have it compression tested, give it a tune-up, and probably pull the head and replace the hardware with ARP pieces at the least. It won't cost a whole lot and it will give you some extra insurance.

7.) The cluster is just a preference thing really. You can continue using your stock Civic cluster if you want, although the automatic gear indicator will look kind of silly. Any cluster designed for a 92-95 Civic will plug in and work.

Are you going to be attempting all of this yourself, or are you having a shop do it? If a shop is doing it then they'll take care of a lot of these things for you. If you're doing it yourself, well...you need to do a shit ton of reading on all of these subjects...

Thank you very much a lot of question i had were answered...I figured i would need a radiator as well i was just curious because i dont notice them when i look at local boosted cars..

I do plan on doing the swap myself mainly for the experience but i dont have the money to have a shop do it and i have no way of transferring my integra to a shop, not to mention i dont know any local shops that i would trust to do the work.

So my GS-R ecu will work fine with the swap?
GS-R mounts will work as well?

in question number 2 i was mainly referring to the brakes, and control arms/ axles?

I think im going to fix the car up cosmetically and work on getting all the stuff i need and getting the engine out of my integra and then worry about swapping, hopefully my civic will last that long

Other questions, Im going to keep the gsr tranny should i replace the clutch during the swap and if so what would be my best bet? Preferably looking for a stage 3/4

Thank you very much a lot of question i had were answered...I figured i would need a radiator as well i was just curious because i dont notice them when i look at local boosted cars..

I do plan on doing the swap myself mainly for the experience but i dont have the money to have a shop do it and i have no way of transferring my integra to a shop, not to mention i dont know any local shops that i would trust to do the work.

So my GS-R ecu will work fine with the swap?
GS-R mounts will work as well?

in question number 2 i was mainly referring to the brakes, and control arms/ axles?

I think im going to fix the car up cosmetically and work on getting all the stuff i need and getting the engine out of my integra and then worry about swapping, hopefully my civic will last that long

Other questions, Im going to keep the gsr tranny should i replace the clutch during the swap and if so what would be my best bet? Preferably looking for a stage 3/4

ECU and mounts will work fine,

yes use the integra axles and halfshaft

If you don't have rear disks, use the GSR rear disks

As for the clutch, if you're going turbo, then go by how much HP/TQ your setting your goal for. Clutches are staged by TQ rating, so if you're expecting XXX amount of TQ then use a clutch rated for that amount of TQ. For a stocker, a stock tq rated Exedy is fine. You don't need a stage 3/4 clutch for no reason, it just makes for quicker wear and more difficult street driving

ah yes, you may need that mount also, the one the guy listed above my post.

okay sounds good ill probably turbo the car later...the car that the engine was in was involved in a pretty bad accident is there anyway i can check if the tranny is bad before i tear my civic apart?

also I need a radiator and cold air intake, any suggestions on these....Im thinking the turbo will be a long term goal and ill replace the clutch when it goes..

How much do you think a mechanic shop would charge if i had all the parts for this swap?

probably, we used to do engine swaps at the shop i worked at.

:( this seems like its going to be difficult, will a shop do the swap if i have everything?

Definitely, and they will probably charge you a shit load of money. Several years back I went to a shop to ask about an H22 swap for my Accord. They quoted me $5,000, motor included. Considering that you can get an H22 swap for around $2,000 - $2,500, that means they're charging about 3 grand for labor and other miscellaneous parts, fluids, etc. needed for the swap.

Since you're also doing auto-to-manual at the same time it will probably be more. Definitely shop around though, because some places will charge by the hour while other places will have prices per project (motor swap, tranny swap, turbo, whatever). For example, I was recently looking into auto-to-manual for my current car, trying to decide whether I should have a shop do it or attempt it myself. One shop quoted me $2,000 (and they don't specialize in Hondas) and another shop (that does specialize in Hondas) quoted me $700 - $1,000. So definitely get quotes from a bunch of different places...

Last edited:
Back