96 prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

For the last couple of days i have been looking on a lot of threads and getting a little bit confused.

I have a obd2 96 prelude h23 with a full exhaust system, true cold air intake. I am planning on putting a stage 1 crower cams, dual valve springs, and pistons to make it high compression.

After looking at all of the threads i have been gettting very confused about the h22 pistons.
Are the h22 pistons, type s pistons, and h22 type s pistons the same or different?
If they are differnt what are the differences.

They didnt make the h23a with vtec here in the us, only jdm and they olny came in the accord wagon/auto tanny. So you cant have a stock h23a vtec. I am currently do a swap in my 92 prelude it has the h23a1/non vtec. I was going to put in the jdm h23a/vtec but i couldnt find anyone that could chip the ecu to manual. So iam going wiht the h22a/vtec. They have hicher compression ;than the h23a. And ofcourse they are vtec. If anything i think you should just swap the whole thing for a h22a vtec. It will be alot more bang for your buck.

ok ya have a h23 vtech. i was planing on doing the h22 head swap but found it was not worth it so i only have a h23 non vtech. and u never answered my questoin about the pistons. my question was about the pistons not the engine.

ok ya have a h23 vtech. i was planing on doing the h22 head swap but found it was not worth it so i only have a h23 non vtech. and u never answered my questoin about the pistons. my question was about the pistons not the engine.

I DONT KNOW WHERE THAT INFO IS ON THIS FOURUM BUT IF YOU GO TO 92LUDE.COM AND LOOK UNDR ENGINE SPECS THEY SHOULD HAVE THAT INFO.

1992 - 1996 Honda Prelude Engine Specifications

Model
S
Si (2ws)
VTEC
Designation
F22A1
H23A1
H22A1
Type
In-line-4, aluminum block and head
Bore x stroke
85.0 x 95.0 mm (3.35 x 3.74 in)
87.0 x 95.0 mm (3.43 x 3.74 in)
87.0 x 90.7 mm (3.43 x 3.57 in)
Displacement
2156cc (132 cu. in.)
2259cc (138 cu. in.)
2157cc (132 cu. in.)
Compression ratio
8.8:1
9.8:1
10.0:1
Engine control system

Honda PGM-FI with port fuel injection
Emissions controls

3 way catalytic converter, feedback fuel-air ratio control, EGR

Valve gear
belt-driven single overhead cam, 4 valves per cylinder
belt-driven dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder
belt-driven dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, variable timing and lift
Power (SAE net)
135 bhp @ 5200 rpm
160 bhp @ 5800 rpm
190 bhp @ 6800 rpm
Torque (SAE net)
142 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
156 lb-ft @ 5300 rpm
158 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm
Redline
--
6500 rpm
7500 rpm​
:D
IF THIS HELPS MAKE SURE YOU REP. ME!!!

yes that helps a lot.

but i reciently found out the answer between the pistons but i am looking for a spec. on both the pistons in a h23 engine

specs for a h22 piston.
like piston to valve clearence
the compression ratio
and hp possible made

specs for type s pistons
piston to valve clearence
the compression ratio i under stand about 11 to 1 to 11.3 to 1
and the hp possible made

i understand that doing this high compression engine this way there are very tight tollerances and i just dont want to jump in a distroy everything.

Last edited:
I have just reciently found out that the type s pistons are the high compression pistons for these engines, but are they for the h22 or the h23?

but..............

does any one have any info on the type s stuff out there like the cams and the pistons for a build of the high compression engine.
i understand that the type s cam is supose to be a very agressive cam but i was wondering about the specs on them.
also the pistons are a dome piston but what is the dome on them and how is the clearence from piston to valve and will i only have to replace the valve springs on them or do i have to replace more for this build?

I noticed your name is Scotty under your screen name.
You wouldn't happen to be the same Scott that I worked at Albertson's with?

Back