96 type R differences compared to the rest?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

Hey guys. I'm trying to find the differences from the 1996 Type R engine compared to the 97-01 Type R and or the 94-01 GSR, speciffically the crankshaft. I am conserned about the difference in stroke, if their is one, and the difference in diameter of the rod/main journals. Anyone know this info would be greatly appreicated.

Also, as far as micropolishing to remove scuffs. Is this expensive or does it dramatically change the diameter of the journals? TIA

There was no 96 USDM ITR... They were imported to the states for the 97,98, 00 and 01 model years. After that we got stuck with the K20a 200 hp RSX-S, and the 210 hp model for 05.

As for the differences between the 97+ US and 96 JDM ITRs, I'd have to look that up.

Originally posted by 2000Si@Aug 16 2005, 09:28 PM
There was no 96 USDM ITR... They were imported to the states for the 97,98, 00 and 01 model years. After that we got stuck with the K20a 200 hp RSX-S, and the 210 hp model for 05.

As for the differences between the 97+ US and 96 JDM ITRs, I'd have to look that up.
[post=540936]Quoted post[/post]​

wasn't the 96 ITR the first year of the JDM Type R integra. If you know where to go just point me in the correct direction. B doesn't have info on the 96 ITR displayed on the refference chart of the read only archives. After a disappointing return on a few searches I posted this.

96-spec itr still has the same bore and stroke as the jdm/usdm gsr and itr motors.

81x87.2

it makes less power due to a lesser head, lesser cams, lesser ex. manifold, lesser compression than the 98-spec itr.

as far as the width of the journals, i have no clue. i can't imagine why it would be any different.

the 98 itr cranks are lighter than the gsr cranks--- or so i'm told. but i have no proof of this, and i've never even seen a 96-spec in person.

I believe the whole rotating assembly is lighten a little in the ITRs, but I don't think the specs as far as what you are looking for changed between 96-97+

i always heard that ITR cranks were weighted, being heavier then gsr cranks. something about more stability at high rpms. i dont know for sure.

Back