1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 Accord tranny swap

Discussion in 'Accord' started by looneytune, Jun 19, 2008.

1. looneytune

looneytune New Member

First post, so take it easy on me.:( I tried to do all the research on here first. I have a 97 Accord LX with a P2A5 std. tranny. It grinds from 1st to 2nd, told it has a bad synchro. I'm looking for a replacement tranny to either rebuild first, or if in good condition, will just swap it with the original. I may have located a 96 EX transmission which would be a P2U5? I see there is a 4th gear ratio difference. Is that the only difference between the two is it a direct swap or do I need to do anything special? Thanks.

2. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

The gearing is pretty much the only difference. F-series Accord transmissions and H-series Prelude transmissions are completely interchangeable with one another. It would be a simple bolt-in replacement...

3. looneytune

looneytune New Member

Are there any other part numbers besides the P2A5 or P2U5 that fit or are the Prelude part numbers the same? I'm not up on the series numbers since I just bought this car. It's been almost 20 years since my last Honda.:huh:

4. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

I have no idea on the part numbers, sorry. I just know that all 90-97 Accord transmissions and 92-96 Prelude transmissions are interchangeable. Some of the newer Accord (98-02) and Prelude (97-01) transmissions may work as well, but I don't know for sure...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted