97 Accord tranny swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

looneytune

First post, so take it easy on me.:( I tried to do all the research on here first. I have a 97 Accord LX with a P2A5 std. tranny. It grinds from 1st to 2nd, told it has a bad synchro. I'm looking for a replacement tranny to either rebuild first, or if in good condition, will just swap it with the original. I may have located a 96 EX transmission which would be a P2U5? I see there is a 4th gear ratio difference. Is that the only difference between the two is it a direct swap or do I need to do anything special? Thanks.

The gearing is pretty much the only difference. F-series Accord transmissions and H-series Prelude transmissions are completely interchangeable with one another. It would be a simple bolt-in replacement...

Are there any other part numbers besides the P2A5 or P2U5 that fit or are the Prelude part numbers the same? I'm not up on the series numbers since I just bought this car. It's been almost 20 years since my last Honda.:huh:

I have no idea on the part numbers, sorry. I just know that all 90-97 Accord transmissions and 92-96 Prelude transmissions are interchangeable. Some of the newer Accord (98-02) and Prelude (97-01) transmissions may work as well, but I don't know for sure...

Back