97 civic camshaft swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JiM454SS

im looking in to swaping the stock cam for a performance cam, its a 97 5spd civic ex sedan non v-tec. any advice on what type of camshaft would be a good choice and installation tips or links would be appreciated.

Ok to ^^^this guy up here yeah right above me.
Swap this swap that holy crap, swaps arent always the best way to go.

Try skunk2 cams=pricey but really good.

no not swap this swap that non vtec is what i saw
and in order to get good response from the cam you well need better valve springs and retainers and a better head gasket but hey whatever it is your car put a cam in it and it will sound better

Yes as a matter of fact I have put a cam in without replaceing the rest of the valvetrain. And still got great responses out of it.

Yeah its always good to put better valvetrain parts in. As it is for any part on a car the newer the better.

But the thing to keep in mind is budget, you dont want to blow $$$$ on a lot of unneccessary things if its not required to produce a lot of ponys.

u ever heard of valve float? if you just put a cam on already worn and weak springs you will have valve float. which means it will cut out on throttle response and hi end pull. So its alot better to replace the spring while your in their. plus have you seen what happens to a motor with a bigger cam when the spring gives out? holy crap its alot more money to replace a motor then springs.

Back