97 Civic EX check eng light on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dreamstriker

OK here goes the best I can

97 Civic EX 2DR
someone before me changed the motor this is what i know for fact

D15B8 block and Y8 Head and after market manifold with cold air intake

This what it is doing

• hard shifting cold or hot
  • comes out a gear when changing
  • no power on take off sometimes
  • when you let up on throttle it will take off and run very good
The check eng light is on and reads no codes
I am new to the Honda away been a Chevy truck builder myself just look for the first place to start. Please Help!!!!

sound like you have wiring issues (check eng light with no codes on OBD2 car) and you have trans issues (hard shifting and pops outa gear) and you have a worn clutch (slow response to take offs).

I have looked the eng over all plugs are cont. but one it is loc right under the intake just be hind the alter. and a bud that is in to the the V's told me that told me that the trans needs flushed or vacuum was off the trans. This trans does not have vacuum that i can find all wired.

so why was the block changed from the D16Y7 or Y8 to the D15B8? (the D16Y5 is the only JDM block offered in the 97 civic EX) but that aside, what trans are you using in your car?

the y5 came in the usdm 6th gen hx it was also vtec
yea but i was refering to my dealer info...as far as he 97 civic EX model is concerned the Y5 only came on the JDM model while the Y7 and Y8 came on USDM cars. what ecu is used on that hx you mentioned? this could be an issue with his check eng light. could a JDM ecu have problems working with USDM engines?

the trans coming out of gear is just that a trans problem, could be a number of things. are you sure you checking the codes right. are you putting it on a scanner or checking the codes by hand

there is no jdm y5, the us got the d16y7 y8 and y5, the hx got the y5 the ex got the y8 and dx cx lx got the y7.the hx is the economy spec vtec.

if you are using a scanner (i hope you are), is the scanner working properly? maybe the scanner is bad. i had a scanner like this. i tried it on a car with a known problem and a check eng light. again it said no code stored. i replaced the scanner and it worked correctly. maybe yours is bad. the one i had that went bad was one of those from autozone

lol just check the ecu by hand to rule out a bad scanner, also i general rule of thumb if the motor code ends with a number then its not jdm

OK have checked with two scanners first one form autozone and the second one snapon so ihave ruled out bad scanner. i have not check it to post codes man. but i will check Sunday and see what i can find. The trans is the one than came in the car. That is what i was told but not i do not know that for fact. It has a Vtec gasket oil leak and was looking for a gasket today but no one could find one in the store so i will have to order one. As for the ECM i do not know if it was changed or not how can i till if it has been?

you ECM will have an 11-digit OEM part number. the numbers for the 97 civic are one of these,...depending on your trans, body type, and model type so i have em all for you. the first 7-digits are 37820P2...the last four are one of the following: ML63, MA63, PA83, P436, NL22, NA22, PA33, PA03, E315, E316, E426, E427, E337, and E338. the OEM number will be one whole number.

OK some new info found yesterday, no Crank sensor its not there. the block has D15B8 on the side and the head is the head that was in the car. The only thing that was changed was the bottom end. The one that was in the car blew up. So the guy that had it changed to this block. Can the sensor but put on this block. I did get the ECM to post code manually and not with scanner. the codes are 54 and 23. Crank and Knock sensor. How can I fix this? Thanks for all your help, this has just about run me away from Honda.

To get the crank sensor on the block you would have to install a D16(Y5,Y7,or Y8) oil pump because it has the provisions for the sensor.

After this what other upgrades can e done to boost power, I has a cold air and headers now. Any adv.

Back