97 Civic / H22 motor help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blue Wolf

Hello, I am new to this site, as you can all see. Anyways, been doing some looking-up on what I am going to need to put an H22 in my Civic, and came across this site and thought maybe someone can help me. I know it's going to cost a lot, but right now I still live with my mother, therefore don't need to pay any bills or anything. So this is the motor I am wanting to drop in it while I'm still living with her and can concentrate on the car. I'm not interested in it being a track car, but a DD and drag. I also want to be "different" from most people that do the B-series swap. Nothing against them, I like the B-series, but like I said I want to be a little different, it's the kind of person I am. Plus, I just want more power :D.

Ok, so what I am wondering is what else am I going to need besides these parts, and where can I get them, if anywhere? Shift linkage is the only thing I can think of at the moment, but not sure of anywhere to get that. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Also, I would like to know if anyone here has done this? If so, what complications did you run in to, how did you solve them, and was it worth it?

Thank you.

thats perty much it.you will need a slim line fan or mod yours to fit.and i would up grade to a 99-00 si radiator.my very first swap ever was a h22a in a 96 hatch, no problems went in alot easier than everyone said.

Cool so do I need the shift-linkage? And about how much did it all cost you?

Cool so do I need the shift-linkage? And about how much did it all cost you?
well its been years so the price should be cheaper now but i got it all done for about 2500, but i used a different axle combo then what you have listed, and yes you will need a new shifter and shift cables, just get some from a 93+prelude

Nice site, thanks a lot. I like their prices and how they can add the hasport mount kit and axles for cheaper when you buy a motor. Hmm Idk much about trannys, would you suggest the lsd tranny? If so, why?
Also was wondering why the choice of a 99-00 si radiator?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get as much info as possible.

Thank you.

yes i would get the lsd tranyy because its fwd your gona need all the help you can get lol, and the 99-00 si radiator is a 2 flu and it will cool the motor alot better than you stock 1 flu

Fair enough lol. What is 2 flu and 1 flu?

And another question about that site, just found a complete changeover for 2200 and it said it comes with all the shifting shit so would that be what I need? Then all I would need is the slim line fan and the si radiator right?

Fair enough lol. What is 2 flu and 1 flu?

And another question about that site, just found a complete changeover for 2200 and it said it comes with all the shifting shit so would that be what I need? Then all I would need is the slim line fan and the si radiator right?
your best bet is just to call them and tell them what car you have and what you want to put in it and they will hook you up..inside of the radiator there are flus/channels stock civics have just one while the 99-00 si has 2

Ahhh ok then.

Hmm anything else then?

Will the ECU just hook up? What about power steering and a/c and cruise control will they all still work or what? Oh and where do I get a slimline fan? Or will that site find me a slimline fan and a 99-00 si radiator?

oh boy lol you might want to try the search button there tons of info on the swap, depending on what year h22a ou get will tell if the ecu will just plug right up, for me i bought a obd1 h22a and converted my car back to obd1. the slim line fan you can get a autozone and its a universal fan so it will be fine

Lol ok I'll do that tomorrow I'm tired. Thanks for all the help! If I have anymore questions I'll let ya know.

EDIT: Meant to put that I was wanting to OBD1 my car as well so like 92-95.

Oh yeah one more question you might be able to answer.

Would it be possible to have me a 6sp tranny or is that asking for too much? lol

Figured so. Maybe someday down the line I'll venture to the 6sp swap but not now. Thanks for all the help, time for more researchin.

Just curious, but which would you prefer? I don't really care for newer motors like the K20, they just look like they'd be tougher to mod, not to mention the price, and I don't wanna deal with it right now just for a 6sp.

Back