97 civic hatch worth it???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

prtuner88

this is my first post and i would like to let all kno that i usually have a lot of questions, i do read around first tho and try to find the info b4 asking.

ne ways i'm lookin at buying a 97 civic hatch. what i'm wonderin is if ne one knos if people have been able to get good power out of the stock motor. i kno engine swaps are usually the best way to go but i wonder if ne one has had high hp outcomes of the stock motor. the reason i ask is because i would hey to start hooking up parts such as intakes exhaust etc if i will never make a high amount of power and end up doin a swap and lose everythin i put in. instead i would rather just save for the swap from the beggining.

so if ne one can gimme ne ideas or show me cars with the stock motor that are hooked up lemme kno please.

thanx alot

abi

Start saving, im not a expert but from what I understand it'll be very expensive to hook up that engine. I have a 97 hatchback civic dx. Its still stock and I need a transmission for it to get it running smoothly. Im gonna get me a k-series because thats the best way to go for me. Its expensive but worth it. The only money im going to put into my stock (d16y7) engine is whats necessary like oil changes, spark plugs, little non-expensive things until I do my swap.

yezzur

yea thats what im thinkin the stock motor is mad weak. jazzproparts.com has all the jdm motors. i'm lookin at the b18c1 gsr motor the price is kinda nice and it seems to put out decent hp. yea the k20 is pricey but ur right its worth it. u plan on puttin turbo or supercharge or u just gonna run motor and work off that?

you can get decent hp out of the d-series, but, you will spend a LOT of money just to get to where a b-series starts. its not really worth it unless you are just a diehard d-series fan.

yeah, really, if you want power out of it, get the edlebrock turbo kit (says d16y8, but it can be used on the y7) and then drop their engine management for something better (crome, hondata, aem).

You can make decent power with that. Only thing is, if you use their engine management, it wont run right in the high rpms on the y7. thats why you need to swap engine management.

the most power out of a d16 is on turbod16.com. 434 whp/333 tq. throw a z6 head and turbo it for good power.

homeboy, you need to read more. not everyone posts their power on the internet, and i know for a fact people have broken 500 hp with non vtec d16s. the vtec actually hurts your top in power because of the overlap on the cam.

yea but like mentioned above money spent to get to the point of a b series u might as well go for da swap. i have an old ls motor. d16a1 dohc in my 91 hatch now. i bought it like that. its got trouble tho so i'm sellin the car for bout 900. then i have another motor (same one) with an automatic tranny that i wanna get 300 for. ne one interested e-mail at flatland5556@yahoo.com my location is deltona florida and motor would have to be picked up.

swap

yea sucks cuz the 97 hatch that i found is automatic. the last hatch i had was a swap both motor and it went from automatic to standard. they did a horrible job. i'm just worried that the swap wont come out running smoothly. i gotta find sum good shops around here. ne body kno roughly how much it cost to get the swap done like at ne of ur guys's local shops? i kno the motor and tranny prices but i dunno how much to expest for the labor and wiring and such

Back