97 Civic HX electrical problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boatmobile

Hey guys,

New to the forum and plenty of useful information here. I figure if anyone knows one of you will.

I have a stock 97 civic HX and the battery went dry on me.

I was diriving at highway speed and all of a sudden, I lost power. the tac went to 0 and the temp guage started moving with the revs. I would let it idle and the tac would come back and the temp guage would level off but as soon as I put a load on it, it would do the same thing.

Then all of a sudden something shorted and the horn started blowing, the stock radio is feedback with the display fully loaded wityh all characters (will not turn off)

The directional lights went, the 4 ways went, the low beams went

high beams, reverse lights are ok

I hooked up a new battery and car runs fine (ran fine without a battery as well) but I cannot find the electrical problem.

I pulled the dash out but there are no burnt wires, all fuses are fine under hood and in dash. I took it around the block to troubleshoot and got about 50 yds and horn starts blasting but didn't lose power. stoped immediately and horn stopped when revs came back down.

I smell a burnt wire in the dash or residual odor of one

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

Back