1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 Civic HX

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by Volvo T5, May 16, 2008.

1. Volvo T5

Volvo T5 New Member

HGi Every1. I have a97 Civic HX auto with 213K miles on it. The tranny is about to go. I'm trying to figure out what options I have. PLease remember this is my daily commuter. If I change the tranny to EX tranny, will I need to replace the ECU? How hard is it to drop a b18B1 auto? will a d17 fit and is it s staight drop? I dont want to get the HX tranny since lots of problems with it and it takes me 0-60 10+ secs while merging into a freeway.

2. LS_VTEC

LS_VTEC you get the BRAKE

Just keep it automatic and find an automatic transmission out of an ex model. As far as you changing the ecu, I do not see that to be needed, your hx will still work just fine.

3. dietirish

dietirish New Member

i have a 97 hx as well, if you throw a bomz short ram and a manual trans (if you want one in your DD) you can have a car that'll get 36/40 mpg and you wont have a bad time 0-60 but the D16 it has isn't really the best engine you can have but as a DD its a good one

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  4. Volvo T5

Volvo T5 New Member

I really want to convert it to a manual tranny but how much will it cost me? Any shop? I live in stockton, but I commute to the bay area

5. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

just leave it. if it's a commuter, auto is the way to go.

6. Volvo T5

Volvo T5 New Member

I found a 05 D17 vtec long block with 9K miles for $500 will it fit and stright drop?

7. get_nick

i thought it was your tranny that was bad? long block doesn't come with a tranny.

8. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

I'd advise against that. You'd definitely have to change the ECU out and do some wiring to put a D17 in, plus I'm not sure if it bolts up to the older D-series trannies or not.

Why are you asking about a new motor anyway? I thought just your transmission was bad?

EDIT: Nick beat me to it, lol...

9. Volvo T5

Volvo T5 New Member

ok my friend got a 99 ex tranny. his asking $450 is that too much? How hard is it to replace? I kinda have experience during my younger days lowered cars, replaced engined mounts, but never did any tranny

10. get_nick

ouch, $450 is a lot. you can find a tranny for your car for about $200. $450 you could get a whole engine with tranny if you shop around.

11. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

is your HX CVT? if so, you'll need another CVT tranny, or you'll have to swap ecu as well.... but there's nothing that will work good out of the box.

12. BrutalB83

:werd:

That is way too much money for a D-series transmission. Keep shopping around...

13. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

Couldn't he just swap in a D16y8 with an auto tranny for like $600ish?

14. BrutalB83

Pretty much, yeah...

15. Volvo T5

Volvo T5 New Member

I found some tranny on craiglist from $200-$400 but im worried they might give me a bad one. Where do I shop around? Also what years willfit into my vehicle. Will a 02 ex auto tranny fit?

I have a HX CVT and would like to get away from it. The original one was reaplce before it hit 100K because my cousin never maintained it. She then gave it to the younger brother and didn't maintain it also. I bought it from him for $800 and been using it for about 8 months now and put on 30K miles.

So I'm a little confuse now. some people sai I dont need to replace ECU and some says I need to replace ECU

16. BrutalB83

If you replace the transmission with anything but another CVT then you must swap to a non-CVT ECU. As for the 02 EX tranny, I'm pretty sure that it will not work, but I don't know for sure. Anyone else know?

17. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

If the 02 EX is a d17, no it will not fit directly. If I remember correctly, there's an extra bolt. (Or maybe the bolt is in a different place? Don't remember) The d17 is the bastard child of the D-series.

Find another CVT tranny, those are great for FE, and you won't have to swap anything else. Stay auto, if you get into traffic a lot, you'll be happier with an automatic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted