97 Civic LX Automatic Type R? what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mrh4nky

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to swap a type r engine into a 97 civic LX automatic without having to change it to a manual?:confused::confused:

My personal theory on this is that all you have to do is program whatever shifts the gears on an automatic car to shift the gears properly for a manual engine, this sort of reminds me of those BMW SMG engines, the things that are like manual and automatic in the same thing.

If this is not possible, what is the best engine to drop into an automatic 97 Civic LX Sedan? (my car is getting really high on miles and I've been wanting to drop a bad ass engine in it anyway);)

I mean, I know that's probably not the best idea, but I've always wondered if it's possible to use a manual engine on an automatic.

If so, then I'm going to head out and get a type r engine as soon as I fix up the body of my car (it has a few dents because of a recent parking lot accident).

thanks in advance for any replies.

you can put a type r engine in with an auto tranny, but I dunno if there is a computer to run it correctly, all of the usdm dohc b series vtec engines are mated to manual trannys, but there are b16 auto jdm engines, possibly get the computer that runs that and chip it to run the type R engine's fuel maps.
You are still going to need a b series auto tranny.

oh wow, that's cool, I'm happy it's possible, though I know it'll be a lot of work to map ir right, I'd be willing to try though.

Do you know where I can read more about auto b16 jdm engines?

I'd like to collect as much info as i can now.

Thanks

Is there a reason why you need the car to stay automatic? Like are you disabled or something? Because if it's simply because you don't know how to drive a manual tranny car, then, well...LEARN! For all the money that you're going to spend sourcing a type-r motor and an automatic B16 transmission you could just build an LS-VTEC and swap to manual.

Is there a reason why you need the car to stay automatic? Like are you disabled or something? Because if it's simply because you don't know how to drive a manual tranny car, then, well...LEARN! For all the money that you're going to spend sourcing a type-r motor and an automatic B16 transmission you could just build an LS-VTEC and swap to manual.
( sarcasticly ) How about find an LS with auto tranny and build and auto ls/vtec:eek: !! J/K

Mrh4nky vbmenu_register("postmenu_772407", true); ; It sounds like you like your auto and the car you own so I would say the more logical direction to go is to look for a GSR or LS motor with an auto. It may not be as much power as your looking for in the typeR but it will be cheaper, easier to find, and easier to swap. With one of these combos you could always mod it to get the power you are looking for.

Last edited:
How about find an LS with auto tranny and build and auto ls/vtec:eek:

True. That's what I have though, an automatic LS, and let me tell you, it's slow as hell, definately geared for mileage rather than acceleration.

Well thats a price you pay when staying auto!:D Hes probally looking for something daily driver-ish and the gearing shouldn't pose a problem. If it does, how about going B20 auto tranny?

Heheh

You guys are hilarious, no, I'm not disabled, and I am leaning manual.

I just really want this like daily driver sort of car that I can enjoy, but I want to max it out the most i can, I mean, I'm most likely going to purchase a newer car anyway, I've been looking at some Civic SI coupes to change to Type R.

I just thought it would be neat to have an automatic with a badass motor and as far as my limited knowledge goes Type R is the best when it comes to out of the box civics that were made.

I'm sure there are better options and any suggestions are welcome, I might try reading up more on that GSR automatic.

Japanese Star Motor - JSM Montreal they have a phone number where you can call on the website, they don't update their website that often, I almost guarantee they have a b16 swap with auto tranny, maybe even a gsr auto swap, their prices are good, and they have free shipping. They are local to me, I have seen alot of good stuff come out of there.

also honda motors online may have what you are looking for, but I don't know their web addy.

Alot of the GSR's came with an automatic, or maybe thats just my area because I wnet shopping for one back in the day and the majority were autos ( and four door).
As far as " maxing it out the most you can" would lean on your budget and wouldn't be a good idea for a daily driver. If you plan on buying an Si coupe, I would build on that for your "weekend bruiser" instead of your automatic daily driver. The Si is a great platform for you to build off of without swapping. You also said you wanted a car to enjoy. Boosting that little D with a kit from Edelbrock or someother repuitable turbo kit producer could be a reliable alternative to swapping.

Alot of the GSR's came with an automatic

sorry to burst your bubble, but USDM integra GSR's never came with an automatic.
the only options ever available for a gsr were 2 or 4 doors, leather or no leather and cosmetic dealer addons such as foglights, mudguards, floormats, cd player etc.
they all came with power locks&windows, sunroof, manual trannys, tach etc. etc.

Similar to how the type R always came with nothing, I think that A/C was the only upgrade option for the type R.

I worked for acura for 2 years and never saw or even heard of an automatic GSR

my boy has a 96 Green 4 door, tan leather, AUTO..... I haven't talked to him in a while but if i can get in touch with him I'll get pics. the 2 doors were the ones you couldn't get an auto with. They didn't offer the auto at all in 94 and 95 GSR and I don't think the RS had them either.

Last edited:
Heheh

You guys are hilarious, no, I'm not disabled, and I am leaning manual.

I just really want this like daily driver sort of car that I can enjoy, but I want to max it out the most i can, I mean, I'm most likely going to purchase a newer car anyway, I've been looking at some Civic SI coupes to change to Type R.

I just thought it would be neat to have an automatic with a badass motor and as far as my limited knowledge goes Type R is the best when it comes to out of the box civics that were made.

I'm sure there are better options and any suggestions are welcome, I might try reading up more on that GSR automatic.
I see no point in having a "badass motor" automatic. That "badass" motor will lose most of it's potential running as an automatic, waste of time and money to do this. You can still have a manual as a daily driver.

I see no point in having a "badass motor" automatic. That "badass" motor will lose most of it's potential running as an automatic, waste of time and money to do this. You can still have a manual as a daily driver.

Um, do you live in California?

Have you ever been stuck in traffic for 2 hours or more?

Lets just say this, daily drivers and automatics go hand in hand, manuals may get better MPG than an automatic, but when it comes to getting around town and doing it everyday (especially if you drive as much as I do, and you live in Cali), automatic wins hands down IMO.

I've only been stuck in traffic 3 times while driving a manual and I can already tell that I'd hate it, that's why when I do get my SI or something else, it's just going to be my fun car.:p

The main reason I'm asking all of this, including the body questions in other threads, is because I have to do some work on my car, and if I'm going to pour money into something I enjoy, then why not do the best i can with it, it's not going to win any shows, but I'll assure you that I'll be happy with what I have.;)

Besides, who tunes a LX non-Vtec engine anyway? It's going to die sometime, so might as well put something even better in its place right?^_^

I'v also been looking at some Ferios, but iIhave no clue where to get engines like that, all I can ever seem to find are Type R, GSR, or other engines.

Um, do you live in California?

Have you ever been stuck in traffic for 2 hours or more?

Lets just say this, daily drivers and automatics go hand in hand, manuals may get better MPG than an automatic, but when it comes to getting around town and doing it everyday (especially if you drive as much as I do, and you live in Cali), automatic wins hands down IMO.

I've only been stuck in traffic 3 times while driving a manual and I can already tell that I'd hate it, that's why when I do get my SI or something else, it's just going to be my fun car.:p

The main reason I'm asking all of this, including the body questions in other threads, is because I have to do some work on my car, and if I'm going to pour money into something I enjoy, then why not do the best i can with it, it's not going to win any shows, but I'll assure you that I'll be happy with what I have.;)

Besides, who tunes a LX non-Vtec engine anyway? It's going to die sometime, so might as well put something even better in its place right?^_^

I'v also been looking at some Ferios, but iIhave no clue where to get engines like that, all I can ever seem to find are Type R, GSR, or other engines.
No I don't live In Cali, but I have been stuck in traffic for 2+ hours before, I get stuck in traffic every morning getting off of work but when you've been driving manual for 13 years it makes no difference traffic or not. For someone that's just learning to drive 5 speed yea I can see the problem, but what I'm saying is that to take a type r motor and throw it on an auto tranny is a waste of money as you woon't get the full potential out of the motor. If it's your dd keep your money get an automatic friendly motor and throw the money you save towards your fun car

Trust me, if you get that type r motor and put it on an automatic tranny, you won't be happy with it. You're gonna be like this really isn't what I expected, especially if you were to drive or ride in a car with the same motor with a 5 speed tranny.

Trust me, if you get that type r motor and put it on an automatic tranny, you won't be happy with it. You're gonna be like this really isn't what I expected, especially if you were to drive or ride in a car with the same motor with a 5 speed tranny.
Long story short, Auto or manual, dropping $4000 grand worth of swap into a car that won't be as fun (or maybe even as fast) as your " planned for the future" Si would not be a wise investment. Trully, if you are in fact going to own an Si, don't even bother dumping any more money into you EX and save for the Si. "MOST" ( and I stress MOST for the folks that can't read) of the after market stuff you might have on your EX can be swapped over. You know, intake...wheels suspension.. yaddy yadda.

PS. a Ferio project would be cool as a daily driver i guess....if your car is a four door. You could get that look but I wouldn't invest in the swap.

Last edited:
Long story short, Auto or manual, dropping $4000 grand worth of swap into a car that won't be as fun (or maybe even as fast) as your " planned for the future" Si would not be a wise investment. Trully, if you are in fact going to own an Si, don't even bother dumping any more money into you EX and save for the Si. "MOST" ( and I stress MOST for the folks that can't read) of the after market stuff you might have on your EX can be swapped over. You know, intake...wheels suspension.. yaddy yadda.

PS. a Ferio project would be cool as a daily driver i guess....if your car is a four door. You could get that look but I wouldn't invest in the swap.
Hah, my type r powered Si is/will be faster than the new si's as soon as I get her tuned

Hah, my type r powered Si is/will be faster than the new si's as soon as I get her tuned
Oh yeah typeR owns Si, To add detail; Relatively stock typeR D.D. against built Si Weekend Warrior, Si owns.....( except at the gas station^_^ ) especialy if the type R has an auto behind it.

Back