1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 civic wont rev passed 5300 rpms

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 97 civic, Aug 21, 2012.

1. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

OK, so i have a 1997 civic that had a d16z6 in it and it blowed up... 2 big ass holes in each side of the block :eek: but anyways when that motor was in the car it revved perfect even with the holes in it. so i buy a motor from tiger Japanese a d15b vtec-e put it in and now the car wont rev pass 5300 its not a rev limitor or any thing it like boggs down ive checked all the wiring,ecu,spark,ect... any help would be nice thanks...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

there also are no codes stored in the ecu

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

What ecu are you using?

4. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

its a factory ex automatic ecu for 96-98 its a 37820-p2p-a83 and the motor ant the 3 stage vtec its just the regular single vtec solenoid

5. tabKola

tabKola New Member

Sounds like you're reaching the max rpm for stage one of the three stage motor. You're ecu isn't activating stage 2 at 3000 rpm since it is a P2P and it can't activate the third stage at 5000 rpm because the regular solenoid doesn't match the galleys built into the head. You either need the three stage ecu and Vtec solenoid or you could swap on a Y8 or Z6 head.

6. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

its not the 3 stage vtec motor its just one solenoid not 2 solenoids and everything is all stock

7. tabKola

tabKola New Member

Sorry misread. Sounds like the same problem though, the ecu isnt programmed correctly for that head which is why it bogs. Unfortunately there is NO North American ecu that can control an OBD2A Vtec-e auto vehicle. Your only way out would be to swap the head to a Y8 unless you want to convert to OBD1 and use the ecu out of the 92-95 VX.

8. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

do u think i could send the ecu somewhere and get chipped or something

9. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

do u think my dizzy could be going bad???

10. 97 civic

97 civic New Member

so today i was driving the car and i decided to downshift in to 2nd at bout 60mph just to see if it would rev above 5300 and it did and it went all the way to redline which is like i think bout 7200 but as soon as i let it get below 5300 it wouldnt rev back up again without down shifting

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted