97 Civic won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swpowe

I'm really hoping I can get some help on this. I've searched around and read other threads but I still can't get this figured out.

My civic just cranks but never starts. It was running fine and then one morning it just wouldn't start. I've replaced the distributor, cap/rotor, fuel filter. I've checked all fuses I can think of. Battery is fine.

I left it alone for like 2 weeks, didn't touch anything and then it started and then shut off right away.

I can smell fuel but i'm not sure how to check the fuel injectors to see if they're clean or clogged or whatever. I checked each of the plugs and they're getting spark.

I'd really appreciate any help. :eek:

If you have spark, and the timing hasn't been screwed with then it has to be a fuel issue. Pull the fuel line off of the fuel rail and turn the key to the on position with the end of the line in a bottle or something and see if you're getting fuel. If you are, then there's a problem between there and the combustion chamber (injectors). If not, then theres a problem further back (fuel filter, pump, etc)

Get some injector cleaner and clean those injectors. then see what happens. if it still doesnt work after that then you knocked the injectors off the list and go from there.

Back