97 cvc b18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4Door89

hey, i have a few questions. my buddy just bought a 97 civic with the 97 b18c (gsr) and it runs kinda crappy..

when it idles it surges like its looking for idle... (no vacume leaks. and when using the civic (d16 computer) it isnt as bad. but when we swap out for the gsr comp it is a more agressive surge...

It also gets horrible gas mileage. like 15-17mpg. it has all stock parts from the gsr. just an intake (short ram)...

i am leaning twards they did somthing wrong. or have the wrong throttlebody on it? maybe idle air control valve?

when he first got it, it had low compression and a miss. so we rebuilt it and put it back in. now its way better but wont hold a steady idle, gets bad mpg, and doesnt run as hard as a gsr should, feels just alittle faster then my 89 dx lol....

any input/help is great! just trying to know what to look for....

Check the FITV (fast idle thermo valve). It's on the bottom side of the throttle body. Take off the cover and see of the valve came unscrewed from it's housing. This can cause the exact situation you describe, and has happened to me on my old gsr swap. Just screw the valve back into the housing and you're good to go.

Might want to double check the cam timing and make sure it's not off a tooth. You need to get the ignition timing dialed in as well.

Back