97 D16y8 into an 89 civic 4dr DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

WannabeSI

Hey i just picked up an 89 civic DX 4 dr as a second car and it alright for a car while my nice car is down but it is sooooooo slow I have a 97 D16y8 in my garage and i was wondering if it would be that hard to put in the 89. If i use the D15's distributor and stuff and used the D15 tranny what else would i need to do to get it running. is it wortth the trouble?? Also what ecu would i use?

also i need to wire vtec and change from DPFI to MPFI i know that but will it be a pretty straight forward? what other motors swap in this car cheap and easy? Like junkyard cheap not b16 or anything.

the easiest and cheapest way would be to use and si ecu and distributor and then run a rpm switch for vtec activation but you cant use the dx dis on anything but a dual point injection system

Cool Thanks For the info. How do i wire up an rpm switch and where would i get one?

Originally posted by WannabeSI@Sep 2 2003, 03:33 PM
Cool Thanks For the info. How do i wire up an rpm switch and where would i get one?

MSD rpm activation switch, runs about $40 I think from summit. Use a 90-91 ECU and run Ghettodyne fuel management and you can actually create a VTEC fuel and ignition map from the stock maps. Best of all it's free.

Back