97 del sol zc swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

'im gettin that fo sho!'
hi everyone, i have a 97 del sol with a blown y8 and i got a zc dohc with tranny, ecu, well everything, and i know the motor is odb0 and im guessing my car is odb1(grey connectors) so i need to know what do i need to convert the wiring, i cant find any good information everything is kinda strung out and off topic, and btw this will be my first attempt at swapping a motor, so correct me if im wrong, im a newbie lol

You picked a rediculous combination.

You've got an OBD0 motor if your right, but you've got an OBD2 chassis.

Have fun with that one...

rywire.com may be able to help you make it easier. But you have a ton of wiring to be done. And I don't even know about shift linkage or motor mount placement.

i looked on rywire but im not sure what im looking for

the motor seems like it will mount right in, but ill just have to see when i get there

It may, like I said I do not know.

The only thing I do know for fact is there's a lot of wiring involved. You did not make it easy on yourself for a first time swap'er, that's for sure.

lol well i picked up a 91 crx for 400 with everything and i overlooked the small matter of the large amount of work to do on the wiring, and since it was close to a d16 i figured it wouldnt be too difficult, and im pretty sure it will bolt to my stock tranny aswell, but i figured either way it was cheaper for the time being instead of buying a b16 and b tranny, but now its looking like its time to invest into a different swap, cuz the zc isnt all that powerfull to begin with

Of course it's up to you, but I also forgot to add, you can call rywire and tell them exactly the harness you need and they should be able to help.

I'll buy the crx :)

Well if it cost him 400 and he took the motor, I'll gladly buy it for less than, as long as the frame is straight oh well.

I havn't full on begun the hunt for a crx yet. I got the money for it saved, about 2k to get a nice chassis or whatever comes along then the rest to make it nicer; I just gotta get my EJ8 running again first.

ok then well since we're on the 97 del sol subject, i heard that u have to buy new motor mounts for the b16, is that true? and which model of the b16's are obd2 (oh and btw, the crx is not molested, the owner was my friends cousin, who probably knows more about crx's than most of the ppl on here, he has six and has built all himself with only the best parts, this one was just wrecked in the rear)

ok then well since we're on the 97 del sol subject, i heard that u have to buy new motor mounts for the b16, is that true? and which model of the b16's are obd2

You want to go by year, not model. Anything 96+ should be OBD2...

well around here noone knows what they have, and i cant find and cars that still have the motor in them, just ppl with spare motors and no idea what year it is

Well that's not very useful. Like I said, for OBD they don't necessarily go by model, they go by year. They made the B18C1 all the way from 94-01, but they switched it to OBD2 in 1996. I suppose you'll just need to look for particular sensors that are specific to OBD1 or OBD2. Do some research on OBD2 to figure out what you need to be looking for...

alright well thanks everyone for the help

Back